Friday, May 1, 2015

popover fireworks dress

For my second Kid's Clothes Week make last week, I sewed my daughter an Oliver + S Popover Sundress. It's a free pattern and super cute and simple. I will definitely be making more because it went together so quickly.


Originally I had other ideas for the pattern... plans that were more in line with the season's "Wild Things" theme. But I was having trouble getting excited about starting it, so I ended up going in a completely different direction.


I used navy blue linen for the main dress fabric, and some vintage red and blue plaid for the yoke and ties. I also added a piece of vintage eyelet trim to the yoke for a bit of interest and I think it really makes the dress. I sewed a size 3 for my tall girl and the fit is great. I also used french seams (my new favorite technique - I use these everywhere now!) so there are no exposed seams.


Then at the last minute I decided to add some hand embroidery to the bottom. The dress was definitely veering in a patriotic direction with its red, white and blue colors, so I decided to just go all out and add some fireworks. I got lucky and found a cute (and free!) fireworks embroidery pattern from Mollie Makes that worked perfectly.


My daughter loves here "fireworks dress" and I can see her wearing it a lot this summer. The fourth of July is still a little way off, but I guess she can wear it for Memorial Day too?

6 comments:

  1. Definitely for Memorial Day too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is adorable and I may have to copy you a little bit! And SarahKrumm is right, definitely Memorial Day, too! And Flag Day, might still fit on Veterans Day… endless possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and copy away! It's such a great pattern - so simple to customize!

      Delete
  3. I'm going through to check out SMS visitors' blogs, not stalking you, but I saw the little image and at first thought WOW she entered to win my pattern but then already sewed up a DIY version :P Anyways, what a cute dress! I love the embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! :) Just goes to show that kids LOVE playing with cameras! She insisted on taking photos with her toy camera during our little photo shoot. :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!