Wednesday, March 18, 2015

little geranium

Soooo... long time no see!

I made a personal goal for 2014 to post at least 52 times, or an average of once a week. I met my goal and was so happy and thought... I can totally do that again in 2015. But here I am already falling off the blogging wagon. I have mixed feelings about blogging lately. I love sharing what I have made, but find it hard to strike a balance between sharing too much for comfort and not sharing enough to be interesting. And I like to make whether I blog or not, but sometimes it feels as though I am only making things so that I can show them off on my blog... not true but do you know what I mean? And I love the community but it feels as though people don't really comment or respond to blogs as much as they used to. I know the reasons... it's a pain in the rear to comment using smartphones... Instagram (and Facebook still, of course) has kind of taken over as an a social media platform that encourages comments. I don't blog for the comments, but I have to admit, it is hard to keep it up when it feels like I'm out here talking to myself. And that's without even mentioning the difficulty of fitting blogging into my personal life. Taking care of my daughter and the house and all the other daily "mom" activities, as well as finding time for sewing and even rest, all leave little time for the work that is blogging - taking good photographs, editing them, attaching them to a post, writing appropriately interesting and witty (who am I kidding?) blog posts all takes time. 

I don't know where I'm really going with this, except to just say that when I feel like blogging, I will blog. And when I don't, I won't. The end.

Anyway, I thought I'd ease back into things by sharing a little dress I made for my cousin's new baby girl due in April... because who doesn't like seeing a baby dress? (Don't answer that!) It is another Geranium Dress, which seems to be my dress of choice lately - see here and here and here. (Seriously though, if you haven't made one and you have a little girl to sew for, GO BUY IT. It is a simple pattern but so versatile. And it always turns out perfect.)


I sewed a size 0-3 so that hopefully the baby can wear it for most of the summer. I did end up trimming about 1.5" from the skirt because maybe I'm weird but I don't really like little babies in dresses that are too long. They can't stand or sit even and a long dress just looks awkward.

The bodice fabric is a lightweight dark denim and the skirt fabric is the same Cotton + Steel fabric I used for my daughter's Christmas dress. I added the flutter sleeves and I think they are darling. The gold buttons on the back are from my grandmother's button stash... she would be the new baby's great-grandmother, so even though the buttons are obviously used and a little bit scratched up, I thought they would make the dress a little extra special.


I sewed a quick diaper cover using Dana's Perfect Diaper Cover tutorial, and a darling gold leather bow on a headband, using the Oliver+S felt bow pattern. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to photograph them with the dress.

The shower was on Saturday and the mother-to-be was thrilled with the outfit (or so I heard), so that makes me happy. Now I'm just waiting for the sweet baby girl to arrive so that she can wear it!

http://www.straight-grain.com/?p=5711

2 comments:

  1. I have a button jar with my great grandmother's buttons in it. I only use them occasionally, as I am all too aware they are a limited quantity. I love that you used some of your grandmother's buttons - it's a beautiful little dress and that touch makes it extra special. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love how they add a little bit of extra special-ness to any project! I am fortunate that my Grandmother left behind A LOT of buttons, so I don't have to use them tooo sparingly... instead I try to use them as often as possible - at least for personal projects and in outfits for my daughter. :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!