Friday, March 27, 2015

cousu gauchos

I have been fortunate to be able to pattern test again for Terri of Sew Straight and Gather, and have been busy, busy, busy the last few weeks as she is releasing not one, not two, but THREE patterns at one time! In fact, they all go live today!

What I love about Terri's patterns is her attention to detail, her classy and unique style and her beautifully-written patterns and instructions. Seriously, they rank up there as some of the best patterns I have sewn. And testing for her has been a joy, as she is friendly, responsive and welcomes and considers all suggestions, rather than taking things personally and/or getting offended.

Anyway, let's get on to the patterns! As I mentioned, there are three different patterns. They coordinate with each other nicely, but are also beautiful on their own. To give each piece its full due, I will be writing a blog post about each... starting with the Cousu Trousers and Gauchos pattern.


Cousu means "stitched" in French, and the main features on this pattern are the decorative darts that run down the length of the wide-legged pants. There are two lengths - Trouser and Gaucho - as well as optional cuffs. I sewed the Gaucho length with cuffs and am so glad that I did because the weather is warming up in Texas very quickly and hopefully my daughter will be able to wear these longer than she would full-length pants.


It was my first time sewing darts, and although these darts are more decorative than shaping, I did get a good feel for them and will be much more confident sewing them in the future. Not to mention the instructions were extremely clear, making the process simple even though it was my first time.

I will also mention that because of the darts and the cuffs, this is categorized as an "Intermediate" level pattern. While not a quick sew, I think it is perfectly doable by a confident beginner. Just follow the directions and take your time. Not so bad at all!


I sewed a size 2 for my daughter. Next time I will probably size up, but only to give her some room to grow. One thing I love about these are how they can be dressed up or down depending on the fabric. I used gray suiting material and think they turned out looking very classy.


They are comfy to wear and easy to get on and off, with a flat front and elastic back. The fit was great on my daughter all around! 


If you are interested in purchasing this pattern, check out the Set Straight Pattern Co. Shop!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Those little pants are the CUTEST. Ever. I love the shade of gray that you picked too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much! I love how they turned out, too! :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!