Thursday, January 15, 2015

Christmas dress

[You may be thinking its a little bit late to share a Christmas dress... sorry, not sorry!]

Shortly before Christmas, I finally decided that I wanted to sew a Christmas dress for my daughter. Well, of course I wanted to... I'm not sure why I didn't decide that sooner!

I chose the fabric first, a Cotton + Steel print by Melody Miller. I love the metallic dot accents and the floral border print. I also loved that it included traditional Christmas colors - red, green and gold - without looking too Christmas-y. The dress can be worn any time of the year without looking out of place. 


I went back and forth between trying out a Caroline Party Dress and sewing another Geranium Dress. The Geranium won because I was short on time and already familiar with the pattern. I knew that it would be straightforward to sew and the fit would be perfect. I guess I'll try out a Caroline next time! 

Even though the last Geranium Dress I sewed was the 18-24mo size and still fits, I went ahead and sewed the 2T and am so glad I did. The length is just right and there is room to grow in the bodice.


I love, love, LOVE how this dress turned out! It could be my favorite handmade dress so far. The colors are gorgeous and the fabric fits the pattern so beautifully. I added brass buttons from my Grandmother's stash (always love the chance to add a little bit of family history to a homemade piece) to compliment the gold accents in the fabric.

 

The gold ribbon around the waist and small bow I added to the front of the dress are probably my favorite features. The gold ribbon just made the dress pop. It was sweet before I added it, but after the ribbon and the bow, the dress was over-the-top perfect.


My daughter wore an ivory sweater from Target over the dress since it's been a little chilly. A matching green headband and ivory tights with sparkly gold shoes completed the look. I may be biased... but SOOO CUTE!!!


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that dress! And how happy she looks with Santa!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!