Saturday, December 27, 2014

twin lua sleep sacks

My cousin and her husband recently had twin boys and I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what to make for them. I have really only sewn for girls and most of the patterns I own are rather girl-ish...


I finally decided on the Lua Sleep Sack pattern by StraightGrain. I never used sleep sacks with my daughter, partly because by the time I stopped swaddling her it was summertime in Texas (read: h.o.t.) and also I guess I never really thought to try one. But they seem very useful and I will definitely try them if I ever have another baby. Hopefully my cousin and her new babies will love them!


I sewed two sleep sacks in the 0-6 month size. They seem pretty large - mostly long - so I think they will probably last well past the 6 month mark for the twins.


This was a relatively easy pattern to sew up and I sewed the sleep sacks assembly line style, so that made them go even faster. The trickiest part was installing the piping, both times I had to re-do, but I finally got them to look decent. The invisible zippers were fairly easy to install, even though I had never done one. I don't have an invisible zipper foot for my sewing machine, so they probably don't look as nice as they could have, but they zip up and down, so that's what matters, right?

Also, I made one change to the pattern and that was to use heavy duty snaps at the shoulders rather than buttons. The pattern explains very clearly how to attach buttons so that they cannot fall off and become a choking hazard, but it still bothered me to give a handmade baby gift with buttons... especially something intended for a baby to sleep in. If I made it for my own baby I would know the buttons were attached safely, but can I really ask someone else to trust their baby's life to my sewing skills? Simply put, I opted for snaps.


I used organic cotton from Cloud 9 and it was lovely to work with. The blue is Picture Pie by Ed Emberley Racoons and Gray Scribbles. The orange is Picture Pie by Ed Emberley Foxes and Orange Scribbles. I included a layer of 100% cotton batting for warmth. These fabrics were so cute and the sleep sacks turned out so nice that I realized sewing for boys isn't so bad after all! :)

1 comment:

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!