Thursday, December 11, 2014

navy natty janes

Today I am sharing a project that I made way back in... well... way back in June. That's a little embarrassing. It happens though.

Anyway.

natty jane shoes, pattern by Delia Creates, sewed by Dandelions and Lace

I made my daughter a pair of leather Natty Jane shoes (pattern by Delia Creates) to go with the Summery Geranium Dress I sewed for her to wear to a wedding this summer. I used a metallic navy leather that I ordered from Etsy and I just LOVE how they turned out. Super adorable, especially with the pearly white snap.


This was really my first foray into sewing with leather and it is a lot harder to work with than cloth! For one thing, you can't make mistakes, because every needle hole is visible on the finished product. Also, leather needles (they have a tiny blade on the point to go through the thick leather) are a must, but leather can still be super tough to sew through. I ruined my first pair of shoes because my little blue sewing machine just couldn't handle all the layers. I bought a new sewing machine in the middle of this project (coincidence? I think not.) and it worked so so so much better. Maybe someday I will share more about my new baby, lol.

natty jane shoes, pattern by Delia Creates, sewed by Dandelions and Lace

Anyway, the shoes were perfect for the wedding. My daughter wasn't quite walking yet, so I didn't even have to worry about them getting very dirty! I sewed a size 4 and I am sad to say that she has grown out of them now, and probably outgrown the pattern - she is just on the verge of needing a size 6, and the pattern goes up to a size 5. I can't wait to make some shoes as baby gifts, though... people need to start having some baby girls, that's all I'm saying!

Oops! Almost forgot to mention that the leather bow was made using the free pattern at Oliver + S and inspired by Craftiness is Not Optional. Easy peasy.


Back to work now... my daughter's Christmas dress isn't going to sew itself! Can't wait to show it off! Hope everyone's Christmas projects - crafty and otherwise - are going smoothly. :)

{Baby photos (doesn't she look so little?!?) taken by my talented sister: Sarah Krumm Photography}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!