Friday, October 24, 2014

kid's clothes week: étage top

I'm making fairly good progress on my Kid's Clothes Week goals... finished the Halloween costume dress (pictures later!) and a Bimaa Sweater (pictures sooner!) and I completed an Étage Top that I started awhile back and have been putting off finishing. It needed a few tweaks as it was one that I started in the middle of the testing process and the pattern was changed slightly. It also needed to be hemmed, and try as I might, that is something I can never get very excited about.

etage top by sew straight pattern company, sewed by dandelions and lace

Anyway... before we start, let me tell you about my morning. So yesterday, some nice city worker left us a note on the door saying that our water would be turned off for 4-5 hours this morning for some work on the water main. Ok, no biggie, I can handle that. 4-5 hours... no big deal, right? Wrong. One hour in and I've already changed a poopy diaper, had to leave the toilet unflushed, handled raw chicken, chopped an onion that left me weeping with no place to wash my hands or face and probably done several more unsavory things that I can't think of right now. BTW, can you get high off of hand sanitizer?? So I decided we needed to get out of the house stat and we headed to Wal-Mart (of all places) to look for stove knob covers because a certain someone has been started playing with them and the gas on one of the stove burners was running all night long a couple nights ago. Yes. I know. Anyway, couldn't find the stove knob covers, but Wal-Mart DID have soap and running water, so I consider it a win. Had lunch out and came back to a house with still no running water and 2+ hours left... 20 minutes at last count... and that's if they actually keep it to 5 hours. It is HARD to be home with no water you guys!! Anyway. That whole story was to tell you that as I was buckling my daughter into her car seat, I realized she was wearing this top backwards... and I had already taken photos, ugh. At the time I was thinking, there is no way I'm taking them again, but when we got back she was still in a good mood (and she hadn't spilled lunch all over her shirt, yay), so we went out and took a few more. So this post includes a mix of photos of her wearing her top both forwards and backwards - see if you can tell them apart!

etage top by sew straight pattern company, sewed by dandelions and lace

The Étage Dress and Top is a new pattern by Sew Straight Pattern Company - find it in the shop here. I already made two Étage Dresses (here and here) so I thought I'd make a top too. It is fun and swingy just like the dresses but can be worn with jeans or leggings, so it is perfect for fall and winter. I used a mix of fabrics this time - Briar Rose Strawberry knit for the top bodice layer, then a fushia knit that came from a dress I didn't wear anymore, and a striped gray and white knit from an old shirt of mine that had a hole in it. I think it turned out adorable and my daughter seems to think it's pretty comfortable.

etage top by sew straight pattern company, sewed by dandelions and lace

I feel like there's more I should be saying about this but my mind is blank. It's been a day. And it's not even 2 pm, lol.

etage top by sew straight pattern company, sewed by dandelions and lace

etage top by sew straight pattern company, sewed by dandelions and lace


[disclaimer: I wrote this yesterday and in re-reading the part about the water sounds a little whiny now... first world problems, I know. But I am leaving it because I feel it's a reminder of how much we should be appreciating our overlooked conveniences like running water. Smile! Life isn't so bad.]

http://blog.kidsclothesweek.com/2014/10/day-six-kcw-fall-2014/

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE how happy she is in the last photo!!! Such a wonderful little girl :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!