Tuesday, August 19, 2014

hanami top

I decided to make my daughter a Hanami Top this week and it turned out too sweet. I got the pattern from Perfect Pattern Parcel awhile ago and have been wanting to try it out. (side note: pattern collection sales are one of my weaknesses... they are usually such a good deal that I just HAVE to buy them... then the patterns languish on my computer forever. I really need to try exercising a little restraint, because I'm way more likely to sew a pattern if I purchase it individually... but that's what I say every time, haha.) Anyway. The Hanami Dress & Top pattern by An at StraightGrain Patterns is the main reason I bought this particular bundle. It is just such a cute pattern.

hanami top by straightgrain patterns, sewed by dandelions and lace

I used Sunnyside by Cloud 9 Fabrics (purchased at JoAnn) for the bodice (it has kitties on it!!!) and some matching gray cotton for the sleeves. One of my favorite features of this pattern is the crossover back, so of course I had to sew that option (there is also an option for a zipper instead). I also chose the tulip flutter sleeves. The instructions were easy to follow and overall it was a pretty easy sew - very straightforward with no particularly tricky parts.

hanami top by straightgrain patterns, sewed by dandelions and lace

Love it! 

hanami top by straightgrain patterns, sewed by dandelions and lace

The only thing that bothers me a little is how much the skirt flounce sticks out. I think I might have to go back and iron down the seams better and possibly even stitch them down so that it lays a little more flat. I've even considered taking off the flounce and turning it into a dress instead - I think I have enough fabric for that... is that a good idea or would you leave it as is? Either way, I think it looks adorable on my little Miss!

hanami top by straightgrain patterns, sewed by dandelions and lace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!