Thursday, June 5, 2014

vintage doll clothes

A couple weeks ago we went antiquing and I found the most adorable handmade doll clothes. There were dozens - and the shop lady told me that many had already been sold - so I just had to pick out a few to hang in my craft room.

handmade vintage doll clothing

Too much work and love went into these little garments to leave them sitting in a store. I imagine a woman sewing clothing for herself and her family and then using the scraps to make a wardrobe of clothing for her daughters' dollies. Just too precious.

handmade vintage doll clothing

Some are hand sewn, some are machine sewn and some are a combination of both, but all are incredibly detailed for such small items. Judging by the fabric and styles, I am guessing these were made in the early 50s... or maybe late 40s? But I don't pretend to be an expert, so I'd love to hear your guesses!

handmade vintage doll clothing

I loved the details on this sweet blouse, especially the little pocket and the teeny mother of pearl buttons.

handmade vintage doll clothing

This dress is completely hand stitched and I love the colors and details. It is a sheer, silky material and has wrinkled quite badly... any recommendations for removing the wrinkles, at least a little bit? I've been terrified to iron any of these, especially this piece.

handmade vintage doll clothing

I imagine this one as a darling little nightshirt. The pink lambie fabric is precious and the shirt has hook and eye closures down the front.

handmade vintage doll clothing

I chose this dress for the sweet hand stitching around the peter pan collar and the fun, colorful fabric.

handmade vintage doll clothing

This rose skirt was especially pretty with the pink rickrack trim.

handmade vintage doll clothing

And this fushia-colored velvet jacket looked like it was made specifically to be worn with the rose skirt... so it had to come home with me too!

handmade vintage doll clothing

Lovely, yes?

2 comments:

  1. You could try steaming them. If you don't have a steamer, just bring them in the bathroom while you take a hot shower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did consider that but as I have never had much luck with the hot shower method of steaming, I haven't tried it out... but I guess it can't hurt!!

      Delete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!