Wednesday, May 28, 2014

a lulu dress

Have you seen Craftiness is Not Optional's newest pattern, the Lulu Dress & Top? From the moment she gave us a sneak peak of it on her Instagram account, I have wanted to make one for my girlie. I finally got a chance to sew one up this weekend and just have to say I love this pattern so much. 

lulu dress by craftiness is not optional, sewed by dandelions and lace

The top part of the dress is designed to use knit fabric and the bottom can be either knit or woven fabric. Mixing knit and wovens? Imagine the possibilities! And believe me when I say this is a super quick sew. It was so straightforward and simple that I want to make a ton more. Perfect as a comfy play dress or top for a little girl.

lulu dress by craftiness is not optional, sewed by dandelions and lace

The dress I sewed for my daughter used fabrics I already had in my stash... a red and white patterned knit from an old Gap t-shirt for the bodice and lightweight denim for the skirt. My sewing on this was a little on the sloppy side because the knit was kind of thin and slippery (so don't look too closely at the stitching, please!) but it turned out adorable just the same. I added the tie option for additional cuteness. 

lulu dress by craftiness is not optional, sewed by dandelions and lace

I made the 18-24 month size and it fits perfectly with some room to spare. I would love to make a couple more for summer but with her not walking yet, dresses are a little hard... they get in her way when she crawls and her diaper is always showing. But I could solve that by sewing some tops instead... then she can just wear shorts underneath. Ok, I think I just talked myself into it!

lulu dress by craftiness is not optional, sewed by dandelions and lace

If you have a little girl to sew for, make this dress! You won't regret it! The pattern goes up to size 8, so I can see this one getting a lot of use over the years.

2 comments:

  1. I totally had that Gap t-shirt too!!! Looks awesome on her ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good eye! That was actually your shirt! :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!