Friday, April 11, 2014

kid's clothes week: summery geranium dress

Hey, I'm back! Remember how I said on Monday that I was all ready to go for Kid's Clothes Week? Well, I lied. Actually I didn't lie so much as life had other ideas. 

Yeah. The cold that both my daughter and myself had last week came back in full force over the weekend and just wouldn't get better. Finally I threw in the towel and we both headed to the doctor... ear infection for her, sinus infection for me. Blech.

So my sewing has been slower than planned, but I am still trudging along. 

summery geranium dress by dandelions and lace

And I'm excited to share with you the project that I completed this morning... a Summery Geranium Dress! 

This geranium dress is a little different than my last... I did the version with faux sleeves and pleats. I sewed it in the 18-24 month size so that my daughter can wear it to a wedding in July. It is a little big for her now, but hopefully will fit perfectly this summer. Fingers crossed.

summery geranium dress by dandelions and lace

I decided to use navy blue piping at the sleeves, waist and hem - I used Rae's tutorial for adding trim to the geranium and it helped a bunch.

summery geranium dress by dandelions and lace

I finished the back of the dress with vintage yellow buttons from my grandmother's collection. I love the vintage look of the fabric, so of course I had to stick with vintage buttons! Plus, I love using something that was chosen by either my grandmother or great-grandmother. What a special touch!


I got a little lazy and didn't use navy thread when attaching the piping to the hem... the little devil on my shoulder was whispering "no one will notice, it's only the bottom hem of the dress" and I listened. Now I wish I would have sucked it up and changed my thread but what's done is done. I tell you this now so that you do not make the same mistakes as me. Don't cut corners, or you will regret it later.

summery geranium dress by dandelions and lace

But I am still super happy with the dress. This was my first time using piping and it is my new favorite thing... it just looks so clean and smart. I also love the way that the piping brings out the navy in the fabric. I can picture this dress being worn with navy leather shoes (perhaps some handmade Natty Janes?) and a navy bow. It will be adorable, I know it. Especially on my little cutie. 

My goal is to complete at least one more project before the end of this Kid's Clothes Week. Wish me luck!

Fabrics:
Lining: Matching pink quilting fabric from Joann
http://blog.kidsclothesweek.com/2014/04/kcw-trends-patterns/

5 comments:

  1. What gorgeous fabric! The blue piping and yellow button details really make the dress too cute words. Good luck finishing one more project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you for the sweet comment! I am so excited by how it turned out :)

      Delete
  2. I love vintage fabrics for the Geranium dress! The pattern lends itself so well to that style. Great job on the piping! I never would have known you hadn't used it before if you hadn't said anything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Piping wasn't so hard at all... I think I'm going to use it a lot from here on out! :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this post! I've made over a dozen Geraniums but never put piping on the sleeves or hem, so I was glad to see your pictures. I agree that the navy piping does a great job bringing out the navy in the flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!