Friday, March 21, 2014

cargo duffle

I finished my cargo duffle, you guys!!

cargo duffle by Noodlehead, sewed by Dandelions and Lace

Really, I am super excited about this. As I mentioned before, this is a free pattern by Noodlehead available on the Robert Kaufman Fabrics website. I've admired since it came out, but it looked sooo complicated that I just wimped out, I guess.

Enter Sophie Crespy who hosted a (bilingual!) sew-a-long on her blog C'est la vie, and I finally worked up the courage to try it out. 

And really you guys... I'm not trying to scare anybody off, but it is probably the most complicated thing I have ever made. It wasn't that any one step was super hard, just that there were a lot of steps. And the quilting part was a little bit of a learning curve for me since I'm not a quilter. But even through the many, many steps, and the many, many layers of fabric, my little sewing machine just kept chugging away. And then suddenly I was done!

cargo duffle by Noodlehead, sewed by Dandelions and Lace

And here I am. Very, very proud that I finished this bag and that it turned out as nice as it did.

Whew.


And now for the kind-of-sad part... please skip this if you want don't want to to cry sad tears for me. I SEWED THE BACK PIECE ON UPSIDE DOWN!!! I'm am so upset about this. I didn't notice it when I basted on the handles. I didn't notice it when I pinned the back piece in place. I didn't notice it as I sewed each side of the back piece onto the bag. I didn't notice it when I binded (bound?) the inside seams of the bag. I didn't notice it when I flipped it right-side-out and set it proudly onto the counter to display. An hour or so later as I turned off the kitchen light to go to bed, I noticed it. BAH! (Only I might have said something a little stronger than that.) It was all I could think of in bed last night. My first thought was, "There is no way in HECK that I am taking that thing apart and fixing it." But I know it will bother me for the rest of my life. And now I am seriously considering doing it. I can take off that piece, flip it and then sew it back on... I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world. What would you do??? [UPDATE: I fixed it and it was a lot of work, but it didn't kill me!!!]

Regardless, I am still very proud of this bag.

cargo duffle by Noodlehead, sewed by Dandelions and Lace

If you would like to try one yourself, I highly suggest following along with the sew-a-long, and also checking out this page of tips by Anna at Noodlehead. The pattern itself is clear but incredibly concise, which means each step isn't described in photos like many of the patterns I have become used to following. But it is totally doable, and I hope you try it!

Fabrics:
Catnap by Lizzy House Cat Dreams in Cranberry
Catnap by Lizzy House Chasing Butterflies in Clementine
Catnap by Lizzy House Jewels in Coral
(all purchased on Etsy) 


Make It and Love It

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! very cool :)
    I love it!!

    Polinka
    http://polinka.canalblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love it too! :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!