Friday, January 31, 2014

kid's clothes week: valentine's nessie top + leggings

I had so much fun with my next Kid's Clothes Week project. I made a comfy Valentine's outfit for my daughter and I just love how it turned out.


I was a little nervous to start because I have never really sewn with knits before. I have been wanting to try it out for awhile and I thought this was the perfect opportunity to give it a shot. Knits are easy! Well, they are a little harder to handle than woven fabric because of the stretchiness, but they are really not bad at all. If you have been dragging your feet to try sewing with knits, just do it! I even learned how to use a double needle. And succeeded! (Just don't look too closely at any of my seams, haha!)


For the top, I used the Nessie Top pattern by Craftiness is not Optional. Let me just say that I LOVE this shirt! What a great pattern. It was so easy to follow (even for me, a knit beginner) and it turned out looking SO CUTE. I added the optional peter pan collar and a couple of vintage white gumdrop buttons, along with the 3/4 length sleeves. And I especially love how it fits my daughter. I made the 12-18 month size based on her measurements, but I was a little nervous, because she's pretty big for her age and a lot of patterns run kind of small. I was happily surprised to find out that it fits her perfectly, with room to spare. I will definitely be making more of these tops. Highly recommended.


For the leggings, I followed the Super Simple Leggings tutorial by Make It And Love It. I drafted them by tracing some of my daughter's store-bought leggings, and it was seriously so simple. They turned out cute, but I think next time I might purchase a pattern. (I've heard good things about the Go To Leggings pattern...) Because the tutorial I used is made for baby leggings, the front and back of the pants have the same amount of room and my daughter needs a bit more room in the back and a bit less in the front, if you get my drift. Also, I need to work on length. I meant to make them longer. Still very cute though.


Fabrics: salmon knit re-purposed from one of my old shirts, white knit with hearts from JoAnn.

Stay tuned for more Kid's Clothes Week projects, coming up soon!

4 comments:

  1. Wow I LOVE this top! the fabrics you chose are so cute too! mmm... gonna have to have a look at this pattern for myself! I need more peter pan collars in my life and my daughter's! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You should definitely try it out, you will not be disappointed! :)

      Delete
  2. You are so talented! Make me a shirt ;) Her outfit works with her pretty gold shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't graduated to adult clothes yet, haha, but maybe someday! :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!