Friday, December 6, 2013

{No bake} Chistmas Party Treats - Mint Rounds

Greetings from icy Dallas! We'll have to see if this storm stands up to our 2011 Super Bowl disaster...

Anyway, I have a treat for you today! For a couple Christmases I ran "A Week of {no bake} Christmas Party Treats" but last year I cancelled due to being pregnant and, well... unmotivated. This year, although I don't think I'll be doing a whole week, I do have a few new no-bake recipes to share with you! (if you have any good recommendations for me, let me know!)

mint rounds

Today we are making Mint Rounds! They are deliciously minty chocolate covered cookies with a sprinkling of candy cane crunchies on top. So good. They remind me of Thin Mints. Mint and chocolate is about the best flavor combination out there, don't you think? (Well, in addition to chocolate/peanut butter and chocolate/caramel, and well... chocolate!)

The best thing about these cookies is that they are SO EASY to make. I whipped up a batch in about 20 minutes during my baby's afternoon nap yesterday. 

Here's what you need to make your own:
  • Ritz crackers
  • Wilton dark cocoa candy melts
  • Peppermint essential oil (NOT peppermint flavoring)
  • Crushed candy canes

mint rounds

First, crush your candy canes. My method is to put a few candy canes in a ziploc bag and then pound them with a crab mallet. Yes, I did that. Haha. Anyway, use whatever kitchen tool works best for you. A rolling pin can work as well.

mint rounds

Now, melt your chocolate. The easiest way is to put the candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it in 30 second increments, stirring in between. It took less than a minute and a half for my chocolate to melt, but it might vary based on your microwave. Just watch it closely.

mint rounds

When the chocolate is melted, add 10 drops of peppermint oil. I bought mine at Whole Foods a few years ago to make peppermint foot scrub. Really, it will last forever because you only need a tiny amount. Stir in the peppermint oil.

mint rounds

Now, dip each cracker into the chocolate. Use a pair of tongs to tap the extra chocolate off and then lay the cookie onto a fresh sheet of parchment paper or waxed paper. (I recommend parchment, it's one of my favorite kitchen tools these days!)

mint rounds

mint rounds

Now just sprinkle some crushed candy cane on top of your cookies, and you are done!

mint rounds

Delicious!

mint rounds

One bag of chocolate candy melts will make about 3 dozen cookies. I used a whole roll of Ritz crackers which had 33(?) crackers and had a tiny bit of chocolate left over. If you want to make more, just melt some more chocolate!

mint rounds

1 comment:

  1. They look delicious and it is a clever idea. I think mint and chocolate is one of the best flavor combinations too.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!