Monday, November 18, 2013

reversible wrap top with kitty embroidery

I am sure you are all biting your nails in anticipation to see how the project I told you about last week finally turned out! I'm happy to tell you that even after a bit of a rough start, I finished it and it is perfectly adorable!

reversible wrap top with kitty embroidery

Is this not the cutest thing you have ever seen?

reversible wrap top with kitty embroidery

I couldn't bring myself to embroider another butterfly (something about doing the same thing twice, I guess), so I decided to embroider a kitty face on it. I might love it even more. (Both the butterfly and the kitty embroidery patterns are from the book Sublime Stitching by Jenny Hart - she has a website and blog too!) I have never really done hand embroidery before, but this seemed like the perfect project in which to try it out, because it is reversible, so it is lined and the backside of the embroidery (read: threads and knots and general messiness) is hidden completely between the two layers of fabric.

reversible wrap top with kitty embroidery

The floral fabric was from my grandmother's (or great-grandmother's?) stash. I'm guessing it is from the 50s or maybe 60s. Either way, it is just lovely. Part of it was stained, so there was just enough for this little top for my cutie. The lavendar fabric is just a solid quilting fabric from JoAnn.

reversible wrap top with kitty embroidery

The pattern was super easy to follow. I love, love, love it. Especially the flutter sleeves. I might just sew everything with flutter sleeves from here on out. Kidding. But not completely. The hardest part for me was folding under the bottom of the shirt to hem it because for some reason my fabric didn't line up perfectly. I'll be cutting more carefully next time.

reversible wrap top with kitty emroidery

Yes, I said next time. Because there certainly will be a next time. I sewed the 12-24m month size for my daughter and the pattern also comes in size 2-3t and 4-5t. I knew that it ran small, but I was still hoping it would last until spring (she is not quite 9 months, but is rather on the big side). Unfortunately, I don't think it will last that long, so I'll sew her the next size up in the spring.

reversible wrap top with kitty embroidery

I'm a little bit sad to say this, but I think it looks cuter on the hanger than on my baby. Firstly, it is a little small-ish and secondly, it rides up when she is sitting. When I hold her up to help her stand, it lies much nicer, but since she is not very close to standing or walking on her own, it just looks bunchy. I would recommend sewing this pattern for a child who can stand. Oh well, it is still super cute. 

More projects coming up! Has anyone started sewing for the holidays yet? I need to get on it soon!!

6 comments:

  1. it's still adorable! and I agree, it fits better on standing kiddos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for checking it out! Looking forward to when she is walking so that I can make her another! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, love your colour combination Amanda. Great embroidery! Thanks for commenting on my wrap top too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thanks for visiting! :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!