Monday, November 11, 2013

a lesson learned

So the other day my husband and I were having an argument discussion about my crafting needs. I was about to order some lovely new fabric to sew a dress for my baby, and he thought I should be able to use fabric I already have.

Now, I do have quite a fabric stash. The problem is, most of it is either from the remnant bin at JoAnn's or is old fabric from my Grandmother's stash... so most of the pieces are too small (even for baby clothing) or do not coordinate at all. And for some reason, hubby is under the impression that hoarding fabric is much worse hoarding rusty scooter parts off eBay. We won't get into that here, but I say to each his own.

Anyway. I decided to follow his advice (!!) and make a cute top for baby using fabric I already have. I cut my pieces and then before I sewed them up, decided to do some hand embroidery on the fabric first. I embroidered a beautiful butterfly and was so excited about my finished product.

hand embroidered butterfly

However, when I went to sew the pieces together, I realized that the piece with the embroidery had shrunk terribly. I had pre-washed the fabric, so I thought it would be fine, but it must have shrunk when I ironed the embroidery pattern to the fabric. Boo. It was remnant bin fabric and must not have been 100% cotton.  I ended up having to run to JoAnn's to buy new fabric for my project after all.

Moral of the story:
My view: A special project deserves special fabric. Don't settle for less. :)
My husband's view: Check your fabric before you use it, dummy.

Also, now I am stuck with this lovely embroidered butterfly. Any suggestions on what I can do with it? Is there some project I can sew it onto? Ideas are welcome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!