Thursday, October 3, 2013

I sewed a dress!

I really, truly did! Hopefully this post doesn't come off as too much patting my own back... but I have to say I am really proud of myself right now! I always thought I would NEVER be the mother sewing clothes for her kids, but here I am... and I kind of love it!


This sewing journey has changed me in all kinds of unexpected ways... Now, every night after I put my daughter to bed, I just want to sneak up to my craft room and sew, sew, sew. Also, I could spend a fortune at Joann. Though that one is not new, I guess.

Anyway, back to the dress. 

I purchased and used the new Olivia Dress pattern from Jess at Craftiness Is Not Optional. I love her blog because she is so talented and also because I'm totally jealous of her 3 beautiful girls (though much less so now that I have one of my own). I think it's because I come from a family of 3 girls, and so does my mom!

I picked out the Croquet Tile Orange from DS Quilts Collection at Joann. I wanted something that was fall-ish in color without being covered in leaves or pumpkins or something, you know? And the buttons are from Joann too. Heaven knows I already have enough buttons to last a lifetime, but of course I didn't have the exact color I needed so I had to go buy some.

I just love how it turned out. The instructions were super clear and I was surprised at how quickly it came together after the fabric was finally cut (probably my least favorite part of sewing). I did my share of picking out seams after sewing things together wrong (it was my first time...), but in the end it turned out just perfect. Just look at how cute it is! You can tell Baby loves it too!



My only complaints: The pattern recommended a yard and a half of fabric and I could have easily gotten by with a yard. Also, it's a little tight going over my daughter's head. Not sure if she just has a big head or what, but if I make this size again (6-12 mo.), I will probably trim a little off the neckline just to be sure it lasts awhile. Both very minor issues.


She's not standing yet, so I thought the dress needed a matching diaper cover. I sewed one up using the tutorial over at MADE. Works great.


Also, I whipped her up a cute no-sew Fabric Farfalle Bow that I found through Pinterest from the blog Craftaholics Anonymous. Sooo easy but super cute!


So there you have it. My first dress ever. Don't be surprised if you see more posts like this. I think I see much more baby/little girl sewing in my future.

6 comments:

  1. She is just too wonderful! Lucky to have an awesome mom like you :D And I can't WAIT to see more sewing projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! She was a perfect little model that day :) Hopefully I'll be able to sew up some holiday outfits for her soon!

      Delete
  2. This is 100% amazing, and I need to remember to follow your blog more regularly! She looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, simply stunning! The fabric - oh! love love love the bright colours on little people :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!