Thursday, October 24, 2013

denim olivia dress

I did it again... I just couldn't help myself and I had to make another Olivia dress for my daughter. {Olivia Dress by Craftiness is Not Optional... see my first Olivia dress here}

denim olivia dress

This time I made the sleeveless version in denim. It sewed up soo much faster since it was the second time around. I can honestly say I made the whole dress in one day! Can't believe that but it's true - during 2 short naps and the rest after my daughter's bedtime. Of course, didn't get much of anything else done that day... oh well, haha!

denim olivia dress

The cute mother-of-pearl star buttons are from my antique button collection. They have 2-way box shanks and are most likely from the mid to late 19th century. Yes, I'm that crazy button lady who actually does research. At first I didn't know if I should use antique buttons on a dress for my baby, but then I decided that she's totally worth it, and I think the buttons really make the dress! (Plus I still have two more of the same in my collection, haha.) Makes me wonder who else has worn the same buttons over the years and how many different pieces of clothing they have been sewn on.

denim olivia dress

I picked denim because it matches everything and it really does! I can pair it with tights or leggings or any color socks. She can wear a long-sleeved shirt or onesie underneath like a jumper and it looks super cute with a colored cardigan. Just wish she wouldn't grow quite so fast so that she can wear this for longer.

Oh well... if she grows out of it, I guess I will just have to make another. Darn. :)

denim olivia dress   

[Linking this project up to Kid's Clothes Week... a happy timing coincidence this time, but you can be sure that I will be sewing like mad during the next KCW!]

4 comments:

  1. I LOOVE this in denim. It's so perfect for fall, too. And you can style it up in so many ways! She is darling in it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet note! I have to say I do love this pattern and I know I'll definitely be making more dresses and tops for her with it as she grows. Can't wait to see what you come up with next! :)

      Delete
  2. Amanda, the dress is wonderful! I too love denim. Id does go with everything :) Those antique buttons are super! I think our little people deserve the best we have - including vintage fabrics and antique buttons ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your nice note. I agree about the buttons and special fabric... if we can't use them for our cuties, what's the point of having them to begin with, right?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!