Wednesday, April 24, 2013

safe-to-eat eggless cookie dough


Back story: I LOVE cookie dough. I am a cookie dough fiend. I often like it more than the baked cookies themselves. Needless to say, I usually sneak A LOT when I am baking. I know the raw eggs can contain salmonella and get me sick. But cookie dough is just so dang good that I eat it anyway. [my husband and I even got salmonella once from a batch of ice cream we made several years ago, but obviously the experience wasn't terrible enough to keep me from testing my luck.] When I was pregnant, I craved cookie dough... I don't think it was an actual pregnancy craving, because I craved it a lot before I was pregnant, but either way, I really wanted it. Once, when I was baking cookies, I snitched a little bit of dough, but then I felt horrible about it. It is one thing to risk my own health, but I was risking the health of my baby too! So I vowed to give up the cookie dough for the full nine months. It was tough. Then I found this recipe. (It was online somewhere, but there are so many different versions out there that I can't figure out where it came from... sorry!) No eggs... so it is safe to eat raw! It saved my life! Well, maybe not... it probably just caused me to gain way more than I should have. But it is super yummy and is now one of my favorite recipes!

It will seriously take you only about 5 minutes to make and you will wonder why you have never made it before. Seriously.

Safe-to-Eat Eggless Cookie Dough

Ingredients:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
1 cup flour
pinch of salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips




Just mix the ingredients up with a fork and you will have your very own batch of delicious, safe-to-eat cookie dough! Hooray! Stick it in the fridge for safekeeping. It firms up and tastes even better when it is cold.

You can add whatever else you'd like to the dough - I have added white chocolate chips, m&ms, coconut, and oatmeal. Anything goes!

Don't try to bake it though... it probably won't work.

My favorite way to eat this is: 1) by the spoonful... or 2) as a topping on vanilla ice cream. If you can think of even better ways to eat it, let me know!

You're welcome :) Hehehe.

26 comments:

  1. Hilarious!

    This totally made me laugh/ go through my pantry for the ingredients.

    Nice one.

    Popping over from the EBT...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dangerous! Stopping by from blogging buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made this two times already, what a great recipe! I love you for sharing this. :-) { www.jupiterskye.com }

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it! I've been wanting to make a batch all week but I've been resisting... :)

      Delete
  4. Great recipe but I would like to recommend not using dark brown sugar, it makes it very rich, but I will be making this again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make a batch of brownies, wait for them to cool. Then spread a layer of safe-to-eat cookie dough on top (I use rubber gloves and just do it with my hands), put in fridge/freezer until the cookie dough is firm. I usually keep it in the fridge but take it out about an hour before eating so the cookie dough doesn't melt, but its not freezing cold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could also put the cookie dough in a pan before refrigerating and cut it up like brownies when it is firm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this while just eyeballing it, and there was too much milk so I ended up with a cookie milkshake! It still tasted awesome, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to ask this but what do you mean by vanilla? Do you mean an extract, an essence or something else? It looks like an awesome recipe and I absolutely love cookie dough, so I'm planning on making it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to take so long to reply, I've been on vacation! It's vanilla extract that the recipe calls for... adding that to the post so nobody else gets confused!

      Delete
  9. How long do you keep it in the fridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can eat immediately or after it's been in the fridge for a few hours. I would try to finish it within a week, I'm not sure how long it lasts because at my house it's always gone within several days!

      Delete
    2. Also, how to you put your cookies in the fridge, do you need to cover it with something?

      Delete
    3. Yes, I would cover it. I just use saran wrap or a container with a lid. :)

      Delete
  10. I'm so sorry to ask again, but do you add water in this recipe? In your pictures it looks like there is water in it, mixed with milk, so I would like to know if water in included, if so, how much?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank very much for this recipe! I made this, and it was awesome. This is a very quick,easy and yummy recipe to make, so keep making cool recipes like this

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Yep, just regular all-purpose flour!

      Delete
  13. holy cow, you are absolutely awesome. I rarely bake/cook but I've been CRAVING cookie dough like nobodies business and this is just too simple not to make so I'm going to go grab the ingredients. thanks again. to the other poster, I love the cutting up like brownies idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would this be a good recipe for cake pops? If so, would they need to be refrigerated after dipped in chocolate? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would work, but you would want to refrigerate the dough for awhile before rolling it into balls so it can firm up a little. And after dipping in chocolate... hmmm... I think they could probably be unrefrigerated for about a day with no problems but I would probably refrigerate if I were going to keep them much longer.

      Delete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!