Tuesday, April 16, 2013

nursery details: scooter mobile

One of the most fun-to-make nursery details is the scooter mobile that I sewed. You can see the work in progress in my post here from a couple months ago.

scooter baby mobile

I found a simple scooter image online and traced the individual pieces onto felt. Then I glued the detail pieces (seat, wheels, headlights, etc.) onto the main scooter and hand embroidered them on with a backstitch so that they would stay in place and look extra cute. I cut out two scooter pieces - one forward and one in reverse - for each hanging mobile figure. Then I sewed the two pieces together with a blanket stitch and stuffed them with a bit of polyfil. I added felt stuffed clouds to the mobile for a bit more adorable detail. 

scooter baby mobile

For the frame, I used the inside ring of a round wooden embroidery hoop and wrapped it with satin ribbon. Then I hung the scooter and cloud pieces from the hoop using fishing line. I think it turned out just perfect and my baby girl is already looking up at it with fascination when she naps in her crib. The only thing I need to change is to lower it a little so that it is a bit closer to her and easier for her to look at. Right now it's right up by the ceiling! Nothing a bit of ribbon can't fix, though.

scooter baby mobile

If you are interested in other details of my baby girl's nursery, please check out:

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...this is absolutely adorable! Your little girl is lucky to have a mommy who put so much work and love into her nursery :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO incredibly cute!!! I like that you added the clouds as well. =0)
    ~Kim
    www.2justByou.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!