Friday, April 5, 2013

nursery details: crib sheets

As you may have guessed prior to my big announcement, I have been spending a lot of my crafty energy over the last 6 or so months on my little one's nursery. It's still not quite done, so I'm not ready to make a "big reveal" post. I will, however, share with you some of the projects and fun details I have been working on.

When I told my friends and family that I was expecting a baby, everyone always asked "What is your theme going to be?" I have nothing against nursery themes, but I guess they are just not really my thing, so I always told people that we didn't have one. And even though we were having a girl, I knew I didn't want to do anything too girly.

I am follower of the blog Craftiness is Not Optional, so when I saw her big nursery reveal post, it really inspired me. Like, I wanted to make my baby's nursery exactly the same! I loved it! I wanted the same fabric for sheets and curtains and everything. Especially the coral color. But then when I found the fabric online to purchase, I was a little put off by the price, especially considering how much I would need to buy.

So I was sad and depressed for a little bit about that. And then I found a fun compromise. I found this series of fabric called "Mod Squad" that features scooters. Even though it is designer fabric, it was all 50% off on Fabricworm. You may not know this, but my husband is a scooter collector, and I thought... what better way to get him excited about the nursery than by using scooter fabric??! And it even contained the coral color I loved. Win win. I then coordinated my designer fabric splurge with some matching solid cotton fabrics from JoAnn that were much cheaper.


So that's what I've been using for all the nursery details. And I have a bit of a theme going, even though I didn't plan to. A scooter theme! It's a pretty loose theme, though, nothing too crazy. Mainly, I've been focusing on using the colors to tie it all together. 


The first thing I sewed were the crib sheets and the ruffle skirt. For the sheets, I used this tutorial from Dana at MADE. It worked perfectly. I used the striped fabric you see above, but then I also made two extra sets for middle-of-the-night accidents and changes and such. I made one with matching dark blue fabric and another in gray.


The ruffle skirt was something I just LOVED in the Craftiness is Not Optional nursery. She used this tutorial from EmmmyLizzzy and it is a three-layer ruffle. I planned to do that in the beginning, but I soon realized that if I made it the same size that she did, it would be dragging on the floor... and that's before I even lower the mattress as my baby grows. Perhaps my crib is lower than others? So I toyed with the idea of making the layers shorter, but it just didn't seem like it would work well (plus it would have taken forever), so in the end I settled for a single ruffle. I still love it though. I love that the scooters on the fabric are present, yet subtle.


So, that was some of the thought and detail that went into planning my baby's nursery. I'll share more with you in the coming weeks!

1 comment:

  1. You are so crafty! These are such great ideas and I LOVE the scooter fabric and the color choices!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!