Monday, September 24, 2012

my {beautiful} spool holder

Just wanted to pop in and show you something really cool. My dad is a woodworker and I've been bugging him for awhile to make me a wooden spool holder to hang on the wall in my craft room. I've looked at the ones at Joann Fabrics and other places and they just look so cheaply made. I wanted something really nice.

So when we visited Iowa this summer, my dad presented me with the beautiful spool holder he designed and built. Isn't it great?

handmade wooden spool holder

He told me that he added a little heart cut-out at the top because he loves me. :)

I was surprised at how quickly I was able to fill it up with my thread. It's so nice to be able to see them all lined up by color. Hopefully it will keep me from running to the store to buy thread for every project, thinking I don't have the right color. Do you guys do that too?

handmade wooden spool holder with adjustable shelves

My dad put a lot of thought into this. He even put wing nuts on the end of each little "shelf" to make them adjustable. That way if I have a bigger spool of thread that doesn't quite fit, I can spin the shelf outwards a bit so that it does. 

handmade wooden spool holder in my craft room!

Doesn't it look nice hanging in my craft room? He could totally make these and sell them on Etsy, don't you think? My dad is super talented! :)

[On an unrelated note, one of these days, I'll do a post about my craft room! Right now it's filled up with junk because we're having a couple of other rooms painted, but once it's back to normal, I'll try to get on that!]

scooter is not impressed

Scooter, as usual, was not too impressed. But I suppose that's to be expected. After all, he is a cat. :)

5 comments:

  1. Your Dad is very talented, handmade always beats mass produced. The colours looks lovely displayed like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great thread holder! He could definitely sell them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can't believe that almost all your thread is the same kind. Mine wouldn't look nearly as nice all lined up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had been buying that type of thread for projects, and then my parents gave me a large set of thread of the same type for Christmas, so I have lot of it now!

      Delete
  4. Your dad did a beautiful job with that! I know that you'll enjoy it for many years to come. Your kitty is adorable, too.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!