Wednesday, September 26, 2012

15. Make strawberry jam

I'm sure you've all been wondering whether I've done anything towards my 30 before 30 list in the last few months. Well, I've done a few things. Not a lot but at least a few.

The first thing I did was make strawberry jam.

I didn't really want to deal with canning jars and boiling and all of that, so I took the cheater route and made freezer jam. It was sooo easy!

All I needed was:
Strawberries (or fruit of choice)
Bag of freezer jam fruit pectin
Sugar
Empty jars

making strawberry freezer jam

First, wash the strawberries and then chop them up as small as possible.

strawberries!

Then mash them up. I just used a potato masher because I didn't mind having larger pieces in my jam, but you could definitely use a food processor if you prefer to avoid fruit chunks.

making strawberry freezer jam

Then mix the fruit with the fruit pectin and the sugar (your package of pectin will say how much sugar to use). 

Simple.

making strawberry freezer jam

Then all you have to do is put it in a jar. 

It will last about a month in the fridge or about 6 months in the freezer.

And it is so yummy! Now that I've made it, I would really like to try making jam with some different fruits... maybe fruit combos like peach blueberry, apple raspberry, etc. Lots of potential here!

yummy strawberry freezer jam



30 before 30

1 comment:

  1. Make some blackberry jam! Although the strawberry does look delicious... :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!