Monday, April 30, 2012

Aprons for Craft Hope

Remember a few months ago I shared a sock monkey I made for Craft Hope? If you haven't heard of it, Craft Hope is an organization devoted to distributing handmade items to people in need. Every month or two they host a different project that they ask people to contribute to. My sock monkey went to a child who lost his or her home in last summer's Texas wildfires.

The current project at Craft Hope is called "Aprons for Haiti." They are gathering cute, handmade aprons to distribute to women in Haiti, many of whom have never had anything pretty or special in their life. A woman who visited Haiti said that many of them seemed devoid of any hope or joy. When I think of all the lovely things I have, and what a wonderful life I have, I feel the need to give something back. This seemed like a great opportunity to put my sewing skills to work, and I hope that my efforts bring smiles to the faces of a couple of Haitian women.

aprons for craft hope

I used a very simple half-apron pattern from Prudent Baby, called the Fat Quarter Apron. While I didn't actually use fat quarters, I did use pretty fabrics I had picked up from the remnant bins at Joann's. Actually, every piece of these aprons was found in my stash - I didn't have to go out and buy anything.

aprons for craft hope

For the first apron, I used cute purple bobble trim to match the funky flower fabric. I finished it with a light blue waist and white grosgrain ribbons for ties.

aprons for craft hope

The second apron was a pretty traditional floral (but so pretty - love the colors!) that I trimmed with a scalloped white trim. Believe it or not, this was a trim that my grandmother had saved... it's finally getting some good use! I used the same scalloped trim for ties, leaving them long enough to wrap around the back and tie in a bow in the front.

aprons for craft hope

I have to say, I love crafting so much more when I am making things for someone else. Hoping these little aprons with be cherished.

1 comment:

  1. These are so beautiful! I'm sure someone in Haiti will adore them :) It's so amazing of you to use your time & talents to help others!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!