Sunday, February 5, 2012

7. Learn how to make sponge candy

Sponge candy, or seafoam candy as it is also known, has been a favorite of my mother's for about forever. It is an old-fashioned candy and is hard to find at stores, but my mom likes to buy it whenever she sees it. Because of its rarity (and its unique melt-in-your-mouth texture) it has always felt special to me, so I have learned to love it too.

My mom always told me that growing up, her and her sisters used to make sponge candy and that she still had the recipe. I've always thought it would be fun to make it with my mom... what better reason to add it to my 30 before 30 list?

homemade sponge candy seafoam candy

So we found the faded recipe in my mom's recipe box and we discovered that the candy is actually very easy to make! It only requires 4 ingredients... well, plus chocolate... so I guess that's 5 ingredients!

Even though candy can sometimes be a bit intimidating to make, don't be intimidated by this recipe! You will need a candy thermometer to make sure you heat the ingredients to the right temperature, but it's really not too fussy at all. Plus it took less than 10 minutes of stirring to get the mixture up to temperature.

homemade sponge candy seafoam candy

These turned out perfect. Just like we hoped.

A sweet, caramelized sugar flavor that just melts in your mouth. Yum.

The only change I would make to the recipe is in regards to the chocolate. We poured the chocolate on top of the candy mixture after it had cooled in the pan. It seemed fine at first, but when we began breaking the candy up into small pieces, much of the chocolate popped off and separated from the candy. Next time, I intend to break the candy up into bite-sized pieces first. Then I will dip them each in chocolate and let them harden on a piece of parchment. But despite the chocolate-falling-off problem, these were still delicious.

And a wonderful way to spend an afternoon with my ever-so-sweet mother. :)

P.S. Wouldn't this be so cute packaged up for Valentine's Day??

homemade sponge candy seafoam candy

Seafoam Candy / Sponge Candy
1 cup sugar
1 cup white syrup (light corn syrup)
1 tablespoon vinegar
3/4 tablespoon baking soda

Boil the sugar, syrup and vinegar to 300 degrees F or hard-crack stage, stirring constantly. Take off burner and stir in 3/4 tablespoon soda. Stir well. Pour into buttered pan (or line with parchment paper for even easier removal) and after cool, coat with melted chocolate. (Or, break into bite sized pieces and then dip in melted chocolate.)


30 before 30

7 comments:

  1. ooh, those look yummy. I've never heard of sponge candy before. So this is interesting. Thanks for sharing. =)

    p.s- it would look good all packaged up for valentines.

    coffeebreakcrn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently discovered this candy myself while visiting my mum and dad. You have just saved me the trouble of having to search out the recipe myself. I did a little post about my experience with the candy. You can read it here: http://sixtyfourcolorbox.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/chocolate-covered-honeycomb/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good, I've got to try it! (Love your 30 before 30 that you are doing too!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you try it! I'd love to hear how it turns out! :)

      Delete
  4. This recipe is really unclear! When I made it, I used a 8x8 pan, it bubbled over. When it hardened it was almost impossible to remove, even though I liberally buttered the pan beforehand; I needed to soak it in water to get the last crusty bits of candy off. When I finally went to taste the candy, I discovered that the middle of it was darker and burnt, while the lighter outside was delicious.

    It would really help if you gave more detailed instructions in the recipe; what to boil the sugar in, what kind of pan to use, how long to let the candy cool and where it should cool (fridge, freezer or at room temperature), how to get the candy out of the pan, and how to prevent it from burning.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the UK there's a similar candy called honeycomb, I think it even uses the same ingredients!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!