Sunday, January 15, 2012

Heart linzer cookies

A co-worker (and friend!) of mine got married today. It was an absolutely gorgeous day... 70+ degrees and sunny. I bet when they planned their wedding for JANUARY they never expected weather like this... not even in Texas. It was lovely and I am so happy for them.

Instead of having a wedding cake, Lindsey, a self-described "cookie monster", decided to have a cookie table. She asked anyone who was willing and able to bring cookies for her cookie table, which was available for snacking on during the reception. Then, as favors, the bride and groom provided take-home bags to fill up with cookies. How fun.

I decided to make these linzer-style cookies with heart cut-outs. A linzer cookie is basically a sandwich cookie with a cut-out on top so that you can see the filling. They are generally filled with jam, but I decided to use frosting... because who doesn't like frosting?

Valentine's Day heart linzer cookies with pink and white frosting

I used a basic sugar cookie recipe and a Wilton brand linzer cookie cutter I bought on sale after Christmas (here). It has 6 different shapes that you can switch out for the center cut-out. However, you don't need a special cutter. You could use a plain circle shape or a biscuit cutter, and then cut out a smaller shape in the center. I know I don't have itty bitty tiny cookie cutters like the heart shape in my baking supplies, but I do have some with my polymer clay supplies, so you might have to be creative, but it would work! I think it would be very cute for Valentine's day to cut a big heart shape as the sandwich and a smaller heart as the center cut-out.

Valentine's Day heart linzer cookies with pink and white frosting

I cheated and used a store-bought can of frosting for the filling, but you could use your favorite frosting recipe if you prefer. I split it and colored half of it pink and I think the cookies turned out just sweet. And they looked adorable on the table with all the other beautiful cookies at today's wedding. What fun.

Valentine's Day heart linzer cookies with pink and white frosting

All these hearts have gotten me in the a Valentine's Day frame of mind. I really want to make some fun Valentine's Day decorations for the house, but I don't quite know what to make. Any good suggestions?

Shared:
Button

7 comments:

  1. These are so cute for vday!

    I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2012/01/pinteresting-party-week-twenty-two.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you like them, Tutus! Of course I will join your sweet linky party! :) Headed over there now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies are so cute and perfect for valentine day. You can try some flower or maybe pom pom decoration for vday. But whatever you come up with, do share.


    You have a great blog btw.

    myminibag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the note! And thank you for the ideas for Valentine's day crafts... I have made a paper garland already, but I can't decide where to hang it yet! I'll be sure to share it once I do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, they looks so tasty! I once baked similar cookies but instead of frosting I used jam and it wasn't bad either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooo those look really good. Perfect for vday
    coffeebreakcrn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!