Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011 in review

I debated doing a year-in-review, but then I remembered how nice it was last year. Even though it had seemed like a crappy year, going though month by month really put everything in perspective. So even though I'm a day late and a dollar short... here's a little review of what happened in my life in the year 2011.


In January we took a week-long trip to Iowa to visit my family for Christmas. It was a lovely trip, filled with beautiful drives, baking, antique shopping and digging through family treasures.


In February, I shared images of the Valentines my grandmother was given as a little girl. We had horrible ice and snow storms here in Texas and ended up with quite a few days home from work. (Hoping that might happen again this year!)


In March, my husband went with me to the Texas State Button Show. We had a great time rifling through boxes of beautiful buttons. I'm looking forward to this year's show!


April was all about my marshmallow peep bunny and chick patterns. They ended up enormously popular and gained my blog many new followers (thank you!). They are still my most-visited pages. I had so much fun making peeps for myself and my family.


In May I took a work-related trip to Houston. It was a fun experience. In addition to networking and meeting new people, I had the chance to visit a ranch, see several museums and hear some great speakers.


In June I started my granny square blanket. I have begun to call it my never-ending blanket. I have about 30 squares done, but need to make 90 more before I can stitch it together. I really should hop back on this project or it may never get finished!


In July, hubby and I took a road trip to Colorado. We saw amazing scenery, went hiking, panned for gold and had an all-around great time.


In August I took a short trip to Iowa for my sister's bridal shower. In addition to the shower, I was able to go canoeing, spend time with family and just enjoy the beautiful Iowa weather. (We were still in the middle of a historic heat wave in TX.)


In September, we drove back up to Iowa for my sister's wedding. She was beautiful, everything went off without a hitch and we all had a wonderful time with family and friends.


In October, my job became permanent, which was a big deal for me. I also made fun fabric pumpkins, we carved real pumpkins and we bought storybook pumpkins to decorate our step. Lots of pumpkins.


November was busy but kind of uneventful. We spent Thanksgiving alone painting our back entryway (still not finished!) and making a super fancy dinner of beef wellingtons. I also sewed my first real piece of clothing, but unfortunately it doesn't fit.


December was busy. We got our first real Christmas tree, which was exciting. I felt like I spent all month making various treats and goodies, most of which I shared on my blog. We spent Christmas at my in-laws and had a lovely time.


There you have it. Nothing too dramatic, but an all-round nice year. I was amused by how many of the big things each month were blog-related, but I guess it makes perfect sense, because those are the types of things I would share here. Here's hoping next year will be filled with even more joy, love, family and friends.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you achieved a lot last year, well done for securing the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That was a big thing, as having finally having a full salary will open up many other opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah 2011!!! Looked like a good time. I especially liked August & September :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it definitely gives you a good perspective to go through every month of the year. Makes you feel thankful and appreciating. And don't say there was nothing special, of course there was! You learned so much, visited so many places, had so many emotions... isn't that enormously much?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is, Kanelstrand. Thank you for reminding me. It is so easy to get caught up in the not-so-nice things and too easy to forget how lucky I really am. I really do have a wonderful life and am incredibly grateful to have had such amazing experiences and so many amazing people in it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!