Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A week of {no bake} Christmas party treats - Day 5 - Speedy Turtles

Welcome to Day 5 of "A week of {no bake} Christmas party treats"! I hope you are getting lots of good ideas for the holiday season. But we're not done yet... today I am going to show you an easy-peasy recipe for turtle candies with caramel, pecans and chocolate!

Speedy Turtles

speedy turtles recipe candy christmas treats

This recipe is super quick to make but tastes amazing - perfect for holiday get-togethers. Really, who wouldn't reach for turtles on a plate full of holiday treats?!


You will need:
30 caramel squares
2 tablespoons evaporated milk
5 Hershey bars (or about 8 oz. of any chocolate - chocolate chips would work fine)
2 cups chopped pecans


First melt the caramels and evaporated milk over the stove - either do this in a double boiler or keep heat low and stir frequently to prevent scorching.


Add the pecans and stir.


Drop the pecan and caramel mixture by spoonfuls onto parchment paper or a silicone mat. Don't use wax paper (like me) because the caramel will stick and tear the paper when you try to remove the candies. However, I learned how to get them off here... and amazingly, it worked. Seriously though, skip the wax paper - you'll thank me.

Also, be aware the this step is kind of a gooey, sticky mess. But if you perservere, I promise it will be worth it. Plus, even though they look funny now, one you add chocolate, all turtles look perfect... promise.


Ok, now melt your chocolate. The recipe calls for Hershey bars, so that's what I used, but next time I would probaby use chocolate chips or fancy chocolate squares. These were made with milk chocolate, but I think they would be delicious with semi-sweet or dark chocolate... yum!

Also, I didn't even think about melting in the microwave, but you could certainly do that. Just remember not to overheat your chocolate or let moisture in while you're melting it because it will get chunky. (Mine did because I was in a hurry and it got too hot.) Just add some shortening and stir. It sounds goofy but I promise it works. If it's not working add a little more. Again, you'll thank me some day.

Anyway, once your chocolate is melted, just spoon some chocolate over the top of each turtle and you're done! Yummy! I popped mine in the fridge so they would harden a little faster.


Speedy Turtles

Ingredients:
30 caramels
2 tablespoons evaporated milk
5 Hershey bars (or about 8 oz. chocolate of any type)
2 cups chopped pecans.

Melt caramels and milk in a double boiler. Add pecans. Drop by teaspoon onto waxed paper. Melt the bars. Spoon chocolate over each piece.

See, that was easy!

Hope you stop by tomorrow for more treats! :)

2 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog by a reping of one of your recipes. I can top your turtles for quick and easy, and they are yummy. They aren't technically "no bake" but come so close that you can't really call it baking. Thought you might like to share with your followers. You take mini pretzels and line them up on a cookie sheet. Top each with a Rolo candy. Top each of those with a pecan half and bake at 350 degrees for 3 minutes. Remove push down on the pecan and place in the fridge to firm up. While not really a turtle, they are delish.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!