Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A week of {no bake} Christmas party treats - Day 4 - Chocolate Mice

Hi everyone! Welcome to Day 4 of "A week of {no bake} Christmas party treats"! Today I'll be sharing a treat that I think is very cute... Chocolate Mice!


This is the first time I have made this recipe, but I found it a year or so ago on Allrecipes.com and have wanted to try it ever since. I have a thing about food made to look like animals or other cute things... too fun! I know mice aren't necessarily Christmas-y, but it's all in how you look at it, and I think they work just fine. This would be especially fun to make with or for kids, but the dough is a little bit sticky so they will definitely need some supervision and help.

Hope you like these little mice!


You will need:
  • 4 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/3 cup chocolate cookie crumbs, divided (I couldn't find chocolate wafer cookies, so I used chocolate graham crackers and they worked fine.)

  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar (optional)
  • sliced almonds
  • licorice ropes
  • silver dragees or other candies/sprinkles for eyes and nose



First crush your cookies into small crumbs. I put the cookies in a plastic bag and crushed them with a rolling pin, but you could also throw them in a food processor.


Mix 1 cup of cookie crumbs with the melted chocolate and sour cream. After this is completely combined, refrigerate until firm. (I just refrigerated it for about half an hour.)


Roll the dough into little balls with points for noses and then roll into excess cookie crumbs. Or, roll in powdered sugar to make white mice. (Full disclosure: My white mice didn't turn out very nice. I didn't even include photos of them... the powdered sugar soaked into the dough and made them very soggy looking. I wouldn't recommend white mice with this method. Perhaps you would have more luck starting with a vanilla cookie.)

Then add almond ears, licorice rope tails and dragees or sprinkles for eyes and nose.


They're multiplying!

The recipe only made 16 mice, so you may want to make a double batch. I would refrigerate these since they contain sour cream.

Enjoy!


Chocolate Mice (from Allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
  • 4 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/3 cup chocolate cookie crumbs, divided (I couldn't find chocolate wafer cookies, so I used chocolate graham crackers and they worked fine)
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar (optional)
  • sliced almonds
  • licorice ropes
  • silver dragees or other candies/sprinkles for eyes and nose
1. Melt the chocolate, and combine with sour cream. Stir in 1 cup chocolate cookie crumbs. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
2. Roll into balls. Mold to a slight point at one end (the nose).
3. Roll dough in powdered sugar (for white mice), and in chocolate cookie crumbs (for dark mice). On each mouse, place dragees in appropriate spot for eyes, almond slices for ears, and a licorice string for the tail.
4. Refrigerate for at least two hours, until firm

Be sure to check back tomorrow for more no-bake Christmas treats!

4 comments:

  1. They are cute, but I don't know if I would like the idea of eating a mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make these NOW!! CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, they are simply awesome! I wish you had posted them earlier, so that I could include them in my GLI post... I might have to make a new one on my blog, just because of your mice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! They remind me of your oreo turkeys! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!