Monday, December 12, 2011

A week of {no bake} Christmas party treats - Day 3 - Chocolate Toffee

Welcome to Day 3 of "A week of no-bake Christmas party treats"! Our post today comes from Margot of the blog Newfoundlander at Heart. Be sure to check it out because she is doing a Christmas cookie countdown over there too... with new treats every day until Christmas! You should also take a peek at her beautiful Etsy shop... gorgeous photography and some wonderful handmade items. I especially love the hand hooked coasters and trivets.

Anyway, Margot is going to show us how to make chocolate toffee, and it looks so good that I'm going to be quiet now and let her get on with it!

---

Hi there everyone! I’m Margot from Newfoundlander at Heart and I am excited to be here today to share one of my no-bake treats. This is a great one to whip up right before a potluck or as a last minute cookie exchange item. And everyone always loves it!


1 cup   chopped walnuts 
            (I find it easiest to use walnut pieces and a rolling pin, rather than chopping - see photo below)
½ cup  butter
¾ cup  brown sugar, packed
½ cup  semi-sweet chocolate chips


Grease a 9”x9” baking pan (the recipe called for 8”x8”, but I found it really thick), and spread walnuts on the bottom.


In a saucepan, heat butter and sugar; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook until mixture darkens, about 7 minutes, and then pour immediately pour over walnuts.


Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top; cover with a baking sheet to hold in heat until the chocolate begins to melt. Spread chocolate over top. Refrigerate; break into pieces when cool. Makes about 1 pound, freezes well if you want to make ahead!


I found this recipe in the Goosberry Patch Christmas 2009 Magazine, p. 37 submitted by Wendy Lee Paffenroth; and it has been good to me ever since!

There is a Christmas Cookie Countdown going on at my blog right now, with 25 days of cookie recipes I’m sure you could find something you like, feel free to hop over and check it out! And thanks so much Amanda for letting me take over your blog for a day :)

xox
Margot
---

Thanks Margot! That looks amazing. Definitely something I need to try... and soon!

Be sure to check back tomorrow for more no-bake treat ideas! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!