Sunday, December 11, 2011

A week of {no bake} Christmas party treats - Day 2 - Peanut Butter Crispy Balls

Welcome to day 2 of "A week of {no bake} Christmas party treats"! Today Kristen is visiting and she is going to share her recipe for Peanut Butter Crispy Balls. Mmmm! Sounds great!

Kristen has a lovely blog called life by the book and an Etsy shop by the book paper. Be sure to check them out... you won't be disappointed! (I absolutely LOVE the heart garlands in her shop!)

Let's hear it for Kristen!

---


Hi everyone!  I'm Kristen, wife and mother of two aged two and under, blogger over at life by the book, and owner of the Etsy shop by the book paper.  By that list alone, it's a miracle I was able to complete this post for you today.  But it's such a great idea, and I'm so happy to be able to share this recipe with you!

I love to cook and bake and I do it often, but I know that not everyone does, so I was so excited when I looked through my Christmas cookie list (yes, there is a list) and saw these awesome no-bake peanut butter balls on there because I knew they would be perfect to share with you.  They are super easy for bakers and non-bakers alike, and I promise I'll make it as painless as possible.  Plus, just think of them as crunchy round peanut butter cups and that will probably keep you going.

This recipe came to me through my oldest and dearest friend when we were hosting a cookie exchange one year.  If you've never done one, you make one dozen cookies for each person invited (for them to take home) and one extra dozen for taste-testing during the party.  That way everyone ends up with several dozen types of cookies but you only have to make one.  Anyhoo....she made these crispy peanut butter balls and they were a hit.  While I was teaching, I made them for my students one year (before peanut butter was banned shortly thereafter) and they ate them all.  Quickly.

Ok, here we go:


Gather up the ingredients:



1 15-ounce jar of smooth peanut butter
2 cups of Rice Krispies
1 1/2 cups confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips
1 teaspoon shortening (or butter, margarine, vegetable oil)


In a double boiler, over low heat, melt the chocolate and shortening (in my case- Smart Balance).  If you've never used a double boiler, and you're thinking, "What is she talking about?", it's just a pot of boiling water with an empty pot or metal mixing bowl on top of it.  The steam from the boiling water gently heats the pot or bowl and melts the ingredients without cooking them.  See?:






A word to the wise: I would double the amount of chocolate you melt.  There never seems to be enough to cover the dough balls, and it's a pain to have to melt more once you've gotten going.


Then in a medium mixing bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.  Clean hands work best at mixing this together because you can knead in the Rice Krispies and the sugar.  A spoon or spatula doesn't quite cut it.






Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes to make it a more workable consistency.  Once firm, roll into 1-inch balls.  Dip the balls into the chocolate using a fork to allow the excess chocolate to run off.  Place the coated balls on a wax paper or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to harden and then place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.






As you can see, I ran out of chocolate halfway through (didn't take my own advice) and also didn't have anymore semi-sweet chips, so I decided to do white chocolate.  Well, the white chips didn't melt as smoothly as the semi-sweet (as in, not at all), and I ended up sort of packing it around the peanut butter dough and pressing it in place.  Still tasty, but not exactly pretty.



While they aren't exactly pretty, they taste amazing, and once people start to eat them, they really won't care what they look like.

I hope that you decide to give these a try and that they become one of your standard Christmas treats. 

---

Thanks so much, Kristen! So glad you could share this yummy-looking treat. Peanut butter and chocolate is a delicious combination in any form and this looks absolutely delicious!

Be sure to check back each day this week for more no-bake treat ideas!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the feature Amanda! It was so fun to share this recipe with your readers. I will check back in on the rest! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!