Saturday, December 10, 2011

A week of {no bake} Christmas party treats - Day 1 - Divinity

Welcome to the 2nd annual "Week of {no bake} Christmas party treats"!

I have a full week of delicious no-bake treats lined up for you, some from myself and some from friends and family. I hope you find these ideas and recipes as fun, easy and delicious as I do and that you are able to stop by each day to see what's new.

Today, I am sharing a treat from my beautiful mother.  She has some of the best recipes ever and she wanted to share the recipe for divinity that she made with her mother and sisters growing up. It's not something I've ever made myself, but after seeing how easy it looks to make, it has quickly surged to up near the top of my "to make soon" list.

Take it away, Mom:


Food historians have yet to determine the first person to call this delicious confection "Divinity." The general concensus about the name? The finished product tasted "divine." Food historians generally agree that Divinity is an early 20th century American invention. Why? One of the primary ingredients in early Divinity recipes is corn syrup, a product actively marketed to American consumers as a sugar substitute at that time. Corn syrup was affordable, practical, and adapted well to most traditional recipes.

I worked with a nurse who is now retired by the name of Dorothy, and she would bring Divinity to work to share with us during the Christmas holidays. What a treat it was! She always told me to make Divinity on a cloudy day and to always use a wooden spoon, otherwise the Divinity would not `turn out' in her words.

This recipe is what my 2 sisters and Mom would use during and only during Christmas while I was a little girl and growing up. I don't really know why it is only made at Christmastime, but I know that I could eat it all year long!


Best Divinity

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup white corn syrup
1/2 cup water
2 egg whites (beaten into stiff peaks)
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
1 tsp vanilla

 
 

Boil sugar, syrup and water until candy thermometer reaches 260 degrees (if you do not have a thermometer, boil until small amt. of mixture dropped in cold cup of water turns brittle). I have a heavy metal kettle saucepan that was my mother-in-law's that I use for this and all of my homemade candies. It works wonderful, but any kettle will do.

After the mixture has reached 260 degrees, pour slowly over the 2 beaten egg whites that have been beaten previously into stiff peaks.

Continue to beat constantly, then add nuts and vanilla. Beat until dull and creamy (I beat the mixture for approx. 5-10 minutes or so).

You may put in to a buttered pan and when cool, cut them in little squares, or you can drop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do, and good luck!!

divinity candy no-bake Christmas holiday treats

Thanks, Mom! They look amazing and now I want to make some for myself!

Make sure to stop back tomorrow for more no-bake goodness!

4 comments:

  1. These sound yummy! I love no bake recipes. I have to try these!

    I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/12/pinteresting-party-with-features-week.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Divinity! It has been a long time since I made them. I think it is time to do so again. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome recipe! I included it in my post for Green Living Ideas, so make sure you check out the post on Monday, December 12th on http://greenlivingideas.com/. I hope it brings good traffic to you :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!