Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year!

They spent the old year's last hour quietly around the fire. A few minutes before twelve Captain Jim rose and opened the door.

"We must let the New Year in," he said.

Outside was a fine blue night. A sparking ribbon of moonlight garlanded the gulf. The clock on the little shelf above the fireplace struck twelve.

"Welcome, New Year," said Captain Jim, bowing low as the last stroke died away. "I wish you all the best year of your lives, mates. I reckon that whatever the New Year brings us will be the best the Great Captain has for us - and somehow or other we'll all make port in a good harbour." [Anne's House of Dreams, L.M. Montgomery]

[photograph by Sarah Krumm, Etsy shop: a road to find out]

 
Welcome 2012!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this book! I actually just listened to the audiobook version recently while I was making all my Christmas crafts, and now I am reading all the rest of the series. Rilla of Ingleside has always been my favorite, although it always makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Kelly, this is why I miss you so much!! I started re-reading the whole series last year and got to the middle of Rainbow Valley and then never finished. I really should, because they make me so happy to read. I really don't know which is my favorite... usually the one that I'm reading at the time. (and they probably all make me cry!)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!