Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I sewed a skirt!

If you want to guest post on my blog, scroll down or click here for more info. I do still have a couple slots open and would love for you to participate!!!

---------

So, I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I was going to make a skirt in the Noodlehead sew-a-long. I was a little slow getting it finished because I ran out of thread at the end and then even more slow in getting it photographed, but here it is... finally!



I'm proud of it because it is the first *real* piece of clothing that I have sewn... I used a real pattern and it has belt loops and pockets and a real zipper and everything!

However, it doesn't fit me.

Nope, I made it too big. I was warned in advance that the pattern ran a little large, so I went down a size after taking my measurements. Turns out I should have gone down about 3 sizes.

And I'm so sad about it. But I really don't think I can fix it without just starting over.

Boo hoo.


Oh well, I guess I'll chalk it up to good practice. I'm sure not many beginning sewers get it perfect on the first try. And it does look nice.

Here's hoping the next skirt I make goes a lot more smoothly!!

6 comments:

  1. Of course you could always put on weight . . . just an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I thought of that! But that really doesn't seem like the best solution, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm really impressed with the pockets! Too bad it doesn't fit. I highly recommend the book "Sew What? Skirts!" I've made two skirts using that book, and they were super easy. The last one I made in just about 3 hours.

    Of course, you could always just hold on to this skirt until you get around to item #3 on your 30 before 30 list - maybe it would fit then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, yes... that's what my mom told me too. :)

    I'll have to check out that book - might have better luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your skirt! too bad it doesn't fit but have fun making the next one and hopefully it'll be just right. I love the courdoroy fabric; that's what I'll be using to do the sew-along (yeah I know I'm late to the party but it will still be fun)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Retha, thanks so much for visiting! Yes, the corduroy is nice, but it is very difficult during the gathering part of the pattern because it is so thick. But as you can see, it still worked out... just lots of hair pulling! I hope you have better luck than me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!