Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Canning jar soap dispenser

Today I'm going to share a project that I finished a few weeks ago. It's a soap dispenser made out of an old mason jar. I LOVE how it turned out and wanted to show you how I made it so that you can make your own!

mason canning jar soap dispenser diy

I realize that this isn't a new idea... I've seen examples around the internet for awhile now, but each of the sets of instructions I found were a little different and I thought I'd share with you how I went about making mine.

Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the process, but I assure you it is so easy you won't even need photos.

You'll want to start with a canning jar and a soap pump. My canning jar is a blue 10 oz. Ball jar. I love the color and I think the size is just right. Many are larger, but this is not too big, not too small. The soap pump I used was taken from a Dial soap dispenser. I found a perfect one at Target - it was on a soap bottle attached to a bag of Dial "White Tea and Vitamin E" refill soap. The soap is clear so it works perfect with the blue jar and there's a ton in there so I have lots of refills for my new jar. Also, the pump that came on the bottle was clear-ish, so it looked good with the jar as well.

mason canning jar soap dispenser diy 

Ok, once you have your materials, you will need to make a hole in the top of your lid. This is the part that I debated over forever, because many of the online tutorials said to just drill a hole in the top. I've never drilled through metal before and I just thought it sounded scary, so I used a more low-tech method.

I brought the lid outside, set it on the ground (on something soft like a towel) and used a hammer and large nail to make a hole, which I slowly expanded with the nail and with a small pair of pliers until the soap pump fit through it snugly. Be aware that if you have the old version jar lid there might be a white milk glass piece on the inside. I couldn't figure out a way to get it out without breaking it, so I just let it crack when I pounded the nail in and then carefully picked out and threw away the pieces.

mason canning jar soap dispenser diy

Once the soap pump fits snugly through the hole in the lid, you'll probably want to seal it up. You could use a glue that works on metal and plastic. I actually used some bathroom caulk since I already had an open tube in the house. Just goop it on, it doesn't have to look pretty since no one will ever see it. Also, I tried to cover all the sharp edges around the hole with the caulk.

Let the caulk/glue dry, fill bottle with soap, and you're in business!

Enjoy! :)

mason canning jar soap dispenser diy

Shared here:
Todays Creative BlogButton

2 comments:

  1. This looks lovely! I can't wait to try it!

    I'd love for you to join my link party:
    http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/10/pinteresting-linky-party-week-eight.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I love using Mason Jars for all kinds of things. These are my favorite crafts to do. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!