Sunday, October 2, 2011

9. Have a full-time, permanent job with benefits

Well, it's finally happening. Tomorrow is my first day of my new job. It will look the same and I will be doing the same things as I did last week and the one before that, but there will be one important difference - my position will be a permanent one, and I'll be paid at a higher rate, plus I'll be getting benefits! Hooray!

This has been a long time coming. I don't like to talk about too much job-related stuff here, and I won't go into details, but the gist of it is this: When we moved to Texas last summer, I had to leave a wonderful job that I had just started. Not wanting to go without work for long, and really not wanting to get out of the museum world that I had just "broken" into, I took a 6-month paid internship down here to get started. It went well and they kept finding money here and there to keep me on board. I got a new title after 6 months (no longer "intern," lol), but no change in job permanency or pay. Finally, a new position was written into the budget with me in mind, and tomorrow, the start of the fiscal year, is my "first" day on the job!

I know it shouldn't be all about money, but I am so ready for this change... because all romantic notions about doing what you love aside, it's just hard to be motivated to give it your all when you don't feel like you're being paid for what you are worth. I *do* love what I do, but I know I will love it more, and be a much more enthusiastic and motivated worker, now that I a bit more job security and better compensation.

I also wanted to say a word about internships. This is the second time that an internship I have taken has turned into a full-time, "real" job. For those of you out there still trying to get a foot into the door in the real world, do not overlook internships, even if you feel that you are "past that stage." If you prove yourself to be a valuable addition and great employee, more than likely, your employer will find a way to keep you around.

Anyway, off to get some shut-eye. Have to look fresh for my first day! Wish me luck! :)

30 before 30

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is so exciting and yes, romantic notions aside, we also need some money flowing in to keep on enjoying life and what we do! Good for you! Wishing you to achieve more in the year to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Amanda! We still miss you, but I'm glad you've found a great (and permanent!) job in Texas. I also think that having two museums bend over backwards to keep you says a lot about how awesome you are - museums don't have a lot of money to throw around, so we definitely don't do that for just any intern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone! As usual, Kelly, you're too sweet -- still miss you lots, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!