Saturday, September 24, 2011

Owl wedding cake topper

Another wedding detail I had a part in was the cake topper. My sister asked me to make an owl cake topper for her shortly after she got engaged. She found this cake topper on Etsy, which she loved, but it was sadly out of her price range. So she asked me to use it as inspiration to create something a bit more personalized. She wanted the boy owl to have a red beard (like her new hubby) and the girl owl to hold a small bouquet of flowers.

I had lots of fun coming up with a pattern for these owls. I tried to make them simple and natural-looking. They were very inexpensive to make, as I used all materials I had on hand, except for the black and white linen, which I found in the remnant bin at Joann's Fabric. The flowers I ordered from Mycraftgarden on Etsy and I couldn't have been happier. I was a little concerned about ordering from Thailand, but they were absolutely perfect and I totally recommend her beautiful work.

The final detail was base... I really wanted to make it look like the owls were sitting on a stump. My dad sliced a piece off a log and then he carved a little heart into it with his dremel tool. I think the heart might be my favorite detail. It just finished the piece off so perfectly. Too cute.

owl wedding cake topper

Below is the cake topper at the wedding reception. Sarah and Alex did their cake a little differently - they asked a bunch of friends and family to bake different cakes for them, so they ended up with a whole table of assorted sweets. It was lots of fun and I would recommend it as a way to both help out your budget and to get lots of people involved in your wedding day. I don't have any good photos of the wedding cake table (it was in a darkish area and my photos weren't turning out), but all the assorted cakes looked really great.

Sarah and Alex baked the main cake themselves... Chocolate Guiness cake with Bailey's Irish Cream ganache... and yes it was every bit as good as it sounds! I think the cake topper worked perfectly.

owl wedding cake topper

And finally, a glamour shot from their professional photographer, Aaron Borchers. I was super impressed with him and if you or someone you know is getting married in the vicinity of Des Moines, Iowa, you should definitely check him out!

aaron borchers studio

So, what do you think? Might I have a future in wedding cake toppers?

1 comment:

  1. Besides the getting married part, these were definitely one of my favorite details in the wedding :D They are so adorable!!! Alex agrees! And we are keeping them up in our house probably forever. Thank you so much for your amazing artsiness!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!