Saturday, September 10, 2011

Doll dress pattern

While I was poking around in my parents' attic a few weeks ago, I found a little treasure that I just had to share.

It's a dress pattern... for a doll! And my grandmother's name is handwritten across the top.

antique McCall's doll dress pattern

The pattern is dated 1921. I know my grandmother didn't use it in 1921 since she would have only been 2 years old, but I'm sure she received it several years later. She may have used this pattern as she learned to sew as a little girl. The tissue paper patterns inside have certainly been used. Wouldn't it be amazing to find the little dress that she may have made using this pattern?

antique McCall's doll dress pattern

The pattern is tiny, the entire envelope is only about 4.5" x 3.5". I've never seen a doll dress pattern like this. Have you seen one of these before?

The envelope is labeled "Free Pattern". Do you think these were given away along with the purchase of an adult-sized pattern so that little girls could learn to sew along with their mothers?

antique McCall's doll dress pattern

This little artifact really touched my heart. What a unique glance into my grandmother's life as a young girl. She passed away when I was only 12, and even though we were very close, there were so many things I never had the chance to ask her about. I will always treasure this little peek into her childhood.

antique McCall's doll dress pattern

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful find! I love dolls and dressing them. I have one tiny pattern like this and it was free - and it was given with the purchase of a full size pattern. I will have to locate it and post a photo! As I recall it is not as old as yours. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should trace the pieces and make a doll dress!
    How precious! I have a few treasures from my grandmothers as well. Such a blessing to have them as reminders of the past.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!