Saturday, August 27, 2011

Showering her with love

As I mentioned before, I just returned from a short trip home to Iowa for my sister Sarah's bridal shower. The shower was held in the community room at my mom's work and hosted by her co-workers. It was small and casual but really nice. You could just feel the love and happiness in the room.

Here's the guest of honor. She was so tired because she works nights... she worked until 3:30 am then drove 3 hours home... and only got about 2 hours of sleep before the morning shower. I'd say she looks pretty good! (I would look a lot worse, I assure you!)


We did a little game to see how much Sarah and her fiance Alex know each other... I helped my mom come up with a bunch of questions and then my mom secretly called the groom-to-be the night before the shower. It was a lot of fun and I was impressed by how much they know about each other! [One of the best questions was thought up by my younger sister... we asked Alex: "Would Sarah rather have a lifetime supply of coffee or a lifetime supply of kittens?" Everyone had a laugh about this one because those are two of her favorite things! But I knew her answer would be kittens and I was right (so was her fiance).]

One of most unusual and thoughtful gifts that she received was an old-fashioned style coffee grinder that my dad built for her. It is beautiful and I wish I had gotten a better photo of it [center photo below].


I gave her a handmade dish mat like the one I gave my other sister for her birthday a couple months ago. Then I made a couple decorated dish towels using camera fabric, since she's a photographer. They were cute I totally forgot to take photos of them. My grandma gave her a beautiful set of days of the week hand-embroidered dish towels. She lives by herself out on a farm in Minnesota and she said it was a good project for the days when she was snowed in this winter! Unfortunately I didn't photograph those either... sorry!


Our friend Ann made beautiful cookies and they were so yummy! She made hearts and some Irish cookies because Sarah and Alex are going to Ireland for their honeymoon (jealous!!). Aren't her cookies wonderful? She makes about a million cookies each year for Christmas, too. Amazing!


My favorite part of the shower was seeing family and friends that I haven't seen in way too long. (I'm embarassed to say how long it's been since I last saw some of my relatives... even my grandma. It really sucks to live so far away from home.) But it was wonderful and everyone was so happy. I even met my cousin's little girl for the first time. She just turned 1 in June and is such a cutie. She sat on my lap a lot and so did her older sister. I guess it helped that I was right next to the gift-opening action, but I'm just going to pretend that they both really liked me. [Can't wait to have my own someday....]

{and I had to stick a picture of Katie in there because I'm pretty sure she reads my blog!}

It was such a nice day. Looking forward to the wedding next month! :)

3 comments:

  1. looks like you guys had a great time! Those cookies look yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you guys look so close and those cookies are to die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!! Best blog post ever! I'm so glad you took photos :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!