Wednesday, August 31, 2011

18. Drink pink squirrels with my sisters

Why pink squirrels?

Because my sister saw them on a drink menu (many years ago) and just couldn't get them out of her head. So, I told her that when she turned 21, I would take her out for a pink squirrel. Well, then I moved to Indiana and later Texas and it has been 3.5 years since she turned 21. But the good new is that my littlest sis turned 21 in June so we could all drink pink squirrels together, finally.

I'm not a big drinker (ok, hardly a drinker at all), so searching the liquor store for ingredients was a bit of a stretch for me, but we got it done.

pink squirrel ingredients

Most pink squirrel recipes call for:
1 part creme de cocoa
1 part creme de noyaux (or creme de almond - see below)
1 part heavy whipping cream

Sounded easy enough, but we quickly learned that creme de noyaux is a difficult thing to find, maybe even impossible. Luckily, I found a blog post about pink squirrels that said while creme de noyaux may have been common in the 1950s when pink squirrels were all the rage, it is now sold as creme de almond. So, basically they are the same thing, with a different name. Good to know. Still hard to find, but possible. And important, because creme de almond is what makes a pink squirrel pink!



So, how did they taste? Well, I have to admit that the recipe was rather strong. As in, the very strong cough syrupy type of stong. I may or may not have spit it out. The creme de almond was overpowering everything else. So I mixed up another with only half as much creme de almond and things were much, much better. Enjoyable even.

I would recommend this recipe if you ever attempt a pink squirrel:
1 part creme de cocoa
1/2 part creme de almond
1 part heavy whipping cream

Enjoy!



One more 30 before 30 goal down!


4 comments:

  1. I have never tried a Pink Squirrel. I have used Creme de Noyaux making Watermelon Shooters...back in the day before alcohol became toxic to me. Don't be afraid to ask your liquor store person where it is....if you should ever want it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pink Squirrels! Never heard of them before. Sounds delicious, I may have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I go to Kent State in Ohio, and we are known for our black squirrels! So this would be a perfect drink around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound and look like yummy drinks. What a great picture and a great memory.

    I have that same black cat clock in my kitchen! I fell in love with it when I first saw it and had to buy it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!