Thursday, August 11, 2011

11. Visit a Volcano

First things first... remember I mentioned the other day that Dallas closing in on a record for the most number of consecutive days over 100 degrees F? No one had any doubt that we would break the record, but today, even though the forecast was for 104 degrees, a storm front came through (no rain, of course) and the temperature only made it up to 98. I realize this is dumb, but I am so upset about it. We had to suffer through 40 days of heat and sweat... it's been over 100 degrees since July 2... and then two days before breaking the record this happens. I am bitter.

Anyway, to get back on track... I have one last vacation-related post, so I hope you'll indulge me.

On our way to Colorado, we passed through an area of New Mexico where there were lots of volcanoes... one was even a National Monument, so I talked my hubby into visiting! Yay!

I've always been interested in volcanoes, ever since 3rd grade when we read about Mt. Vesuvius. I ordered a book from the book order that year about Pompeii and spent hours looking at the pictures and reading about the tragedy there nearly 2000 years ago. I had dreams about volcanoes and after that one of my top irrational fears has been volcanoes (the other is scorpions, though that is no longer irrational because I live in TX now and there are actually scorpions here). Anyway, I decided that for my 30 before 30 list, I really wanted to visit a volcano. Now, the volcanoes we saw in New Mexico are long extinct... and some day I would really love to visit an active or dormant volcano, but I figured that in the next 2.5 years I might not get a chance to see another volcano, period. So we visited Capulin Volcano.

Capulin Volcano National Monument

It was very cool because there is a road that spirals all the way up to the top of the mountain. You can see the road cut into the side of the volcano in the photo below.

Capulin Volcano National Monument

The parking area was just above the crater, here is a photo looking down into the crater.

Capulin Volcano National Monument

There were 2 hiking trails, a shorter one went down into the center of the crater and a little longer one went in a loop around the top of the crater. We walked a bit on that trail, but we were hungry and not used to the increased elevation, so we didn't make it all the way around. The view from the top was quite lovely, though!

Capulin Volcano National Monument

And here's a picture to prove that I visited a volcano!

Capulin Volcano National Monument

Oh, and the road that goes to and from the volcano from the main highway has cow crossing signs... on our way out we discovered that they really meant it!

Capulin Volcano National Monument

This was a fun little side trip and I will always remember my first visit to a volcano!

30 before 30

7 comments:

  1. Sorry about ya'll not breaking the record :(

    You should add Mount St. Helen's to your list! That is a very cool trip, and you can still see the devastation it caused over 25 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother was complaining about the exact same thing. Apparently Austin has had a way longer streak of over 100 degree days than Dallas has, but because right in the middle there was one day that it only got to 99, Dallas was getting all the attention.

    I like that your volcano has a classic volcano profile. We saw several volcanoes in New Zealand, one of which played the role of Mount Doom in Lord of the Rings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Della - yes, I would love to visit Mount St. Helens! Already on the list. :)

    Kelly - I don't know why Texans feel like they need to brag about the heat, but look at me getting all swept up in it, too. Truly, it's miserable. Missing the midwest where yes, summer can get hot, but not this hot. I remember your pics from New Zealand... still jealous!

    Sarah - yes, that is true. (but he doesn't like to be on my blog anyway, so I figured the picture would be perfect, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok new buddy. Also loving that you are doing the 30 before 30 too... I'm in the same boat with only a few weeks left!! lol!! no volcanoes on my list(very cool), but i am hoping for a tattoo...... lol well,take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Amanda!

    Thank you so much for giving me the link to this post!
    Your photographs are wonderful!
    Capulin is the VERY volcano that inspired me to visit Kilauea on the Big Island to see an active volcano!!

    Glad I follow your blog!
    All the best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Camille - that's so great you're doing a 30 before 30 too! I'm having lots of fun with it.

    Mary - thanks so much for stopping by! It is definitely one of my goals to visit the active volcanoes in Hawaii one day... I'm working on figuring out a way to plan that into a future vacation! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!