Thursday, July 21, 2011

Summer Road Trip 2011 - Day 6

Today we decided that we needed a more low-key restful day, because we have been wearing ourselves down and it is our vacation, after all. So we went antiquing... something we both enjoy. Hubby found some tobacco tins to add to his collection and I found some buttons and knick-knacks, so we were both happy.

The antique store where we spent most of our time was in a very old building that had formerly been a general store/hardware store... and I believe it had a hotel upstairs. It was a lovely building and they had amazing items. One of the most interesting things I saw was a display of purple glass bottles. A label next to them explained that clear bottles made between 1860 and 1916 contained Manganese, which caused the glass to turn purple when exposed to sunlight for prolonged periods of time. Bottles made after 1916 contain Selenium, which causes the bottles to retain their clear color. I thought that was an interesting tidbit because I always thought purple glass was just really rare. Turns out that most purple glass wasn't meant to be purple in the first place, it just changed due to sun exposure. Of course after learning this I had to buy a purple bottle to take home.

purple glass bottles

And since it's our anniversary today, we went to a fancy steakhouse for dinner and I am STUFFED! It was amazing though, and what a perfect way to spend our special day.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to relax! You don't want to come home needing a vacation from your vacation!

    I NEED to find a purple bottle! I MUST have one! It's my favorite color :D
    I had no idea about the manganese, and selenium. Thanks for sharing! I learned something new today!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!