Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer Road Trip 2011 - Day 4

Today we visited a gold mine... then we got to pan for gold in a stream! There is lots and lots of gold in there, but we didn't really find much - just lots of pyrite (fool's gold) and we did find lots of gold dust! We may have found a gold flake or two, but it's really hard to tell pyrite and gold apart when they're that small!

I have always loved rocks and minerals... and I love finding things, so even though this sounds like a dorky thing to get excited about, I really did. We spent a couple hours by the stream and there was so much pyrite and gold dust in there that the bottom of every pan we worked just glittered. I kept exclaiming "It's just so sparkly!!"

Pretty hard not to catch gold fever.

panning for gold

2 comments:

  1. You lucky duck! I have always wanted to pan for gold. My best friend in Alaska goes panning. There's a show about finding treasure in the states, like diamonds in Arkansas, gold and silver from sunken ships, bloodstones in Oregon... but I can't remember what it's called. I love finding things too, and would love to go treasure hunting for gemstones and such. For now I am happy finding treasures on the beach!

    It looks like you two are having a great time! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, you are awesome and hilarious. I miss having you around every day.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!