Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Handmade Birthday Gifts

As you probably saw in the post below, my little sister Becky had a big birthday last week. (isn't she cute?!) So I decided to make some special birthday gifts to help her celebrate her special day.

First, I couldn't resist making a ruffle apron. I found this pattern on One More Moore months and months ago and couldn't wait to try it out. It was so cute and frilly... I knew Becky was just the person for it. Very easy to make and it was so satisfying to see how it turned out. Lots of hemming, though, be forewarned. Lots and lots of hemming.

(That's me modeling the apron below... if it was Becky the photo would be much cuter. But alas, she is in Iowa and I am in Texas so I did not get to witness her reaction or see her try on the cute apron... but I hear that she likes it!)

very cute birthday apron


And since she is living in an apartment and has need for lots of house-making kitcheny goodness, I sewed up a couple more things to match the apron. First, I decorated two dish towels. Cute. Then I made her a super-absorbant dish mat. These things are great, I recently made one for myself as well. You can use them to set wet glasses on as you are unloading the dishwasher, or as a drying mat for dishes that you have washed by hand. My sink is too tiny for a drying rack, so using this dish mat on the counter next to the sink works perfectly. I found the idea here on Sewplicity, but I simplified the pattern a bit in that that I didn't bother with the quilting part, just sewed some cute fabric to a piece of old bath towel and... TADAA!

birthday gifts

Finally, I threw in a couple of non-homemade items to round out the gift. Some tongs and a pasta scoop in Becky's favorite color (can you guess?) and some cute ladybug bag clips (she has a thing for ladybugs, lol).

 

I had so much fun putting these gifts together! And I hope that my little sis will get lots and lots of use out of them.

4 comments:

  1. That is a darling apron, and the coordinating mat and dish towels were a great idea! The matching kitchen accessories totally rounded out the gift. I bet she loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful gifts! I am sure your sister loved all of them. One can feel the love :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!