Saturday, June 18, 2011

What is it?

Last weekend, I picked up a vintage kitchen utensil at a thrift store. (Yes, I collect red-handled vintage utensils... I'm going to use them to decorate my kitchen!) I didn't even know what it was, but it sparked my curiosity so I had to have it.

When I got home, I twisted and turned it, examined it closely... and finally came up with my best guess of what it could be. I checked online and it turns out I was right! But I'm not going to tell you until you've all had a chance to make a guess!

Here are a couple pictures of it.

It's not too big, about the size of a cookie cutter, with a wooden handle that can be twisted back and forth.

what is it?

When the handle is turned, this causes the semi circle-shaped metal pieces that stick out of the bottom to come closer together or farther apart. However, you can only twist the handle about a half rotation, before it is stopped by the C-shaped grooves and you have to crank it back the other way.

what is it?

Any ideas? Let me know in the comments!

Then check back here in a day or two and I'll reveal the function of this funny little utensil!

Good luck! :)

6 comments:

  1. I don't know, but i'm going to be thinking about this over the next couple of days. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a vintage jar opener. I have a green and cream handled one. I collect vintage kitchen utensils also! Plus, I am vintage, so lots of times I recognize these goodies! Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was clueless. I'll have to check back to see if Karin is right. She seems pretty confident in her answer.

    Thanks for commenting on my Brownville post.

    LeAnn aka pasqueflower

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being vintage myself : ) I have seen many odd kitchen gadgets, but not this one! But I think Karin might have something with the jar opener!

    (And thanks for visiting my blog!)
    ♥ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I read the comments before making my guess but I was going to guess something for canning or to do with jars. That was my best total guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first thought on seeing the photo was a jar opener. Then I read the comments and it was confirmed.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!