Saturday, June 11, 2011

Design Opinions Needed

Hi! Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

I have a favor to ask of you guys... because I can't make up my mind! So... I mentioned a bit ago that my hubby and I are painting the kitchen. Well, we're finished with one area of the kitchen and ready to put window treatments back up. I have decided to make roman shades, like those in the picture below. Super easy directions from 365 Days to Simplicity... found here.


My problem is that I can't decide which fabric to use! I ordered samples of a bunch of different fabric from Etsy, and narrowed it down to my three favorite. I apologize for the bad quality of the photos, but the paint color is a gold-ish tan.


My original favorite is the apples. I have this idea that kitchens should be fun and cheerful and this fabric fits both those qualitites. I want an old-fashioned kitchen feel and I think this fabric has that, even though it is a modern print. Plus, the dining room (right next to the kitchen) is painted with red, so I think the colors would go well. Also, this fabric line (Farmdale by Alexander Henry) has lots of different coordinating prints, so I could make placemats and towels and all sorts of fun accessories to go with the shades.


However, I'm a little worried that the apples would be too busy. Would they? (I would be making roman shades for these two medium-sized windows pictured, plus for one small window over the sink.)

My next favorite is probably the birds. A very sweet fabric and the colors go well. A bit more subdued than the apples, perhaps.

The brown and blue damask looks really nice, but I worry that it is too modern for our house. Hmmmm....


What do you guys think? I know I have to make the final decision myself, but it would be great to get some opinions from all my crafty blogger friends!!

Thanks! :)

14 comments:

  1. The apples are fun! I really like the birds. The damask is lovely, and matches the paint well, with that touch of blue is really nice. Now I see why you can't choose! I'm leaning towards the birds. I've scrolled back up repeatedly, and the birds are what catches my eye! Have fun with your Roman shades Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the apple print goes best with the wall color ad I also think it's the most fun and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, tricky choice. I like the birds best I think, its the lightest airiest looking print

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the apples, they are so homey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say the apples leapt out at me first, love them :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like all of those prints, but the apples and birds might look better with the adjoining red room. Since the bird fabric is such a large repeat and the birds themselves are small, you might not be able to see any birds (or just partial birds) in the folded portion of the shade. I suspect the apples may look better, but you could try folding both fabrics and see how they look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The apples are way fun! Do the apples. Don't worry about busyness. If you love it, do what you love! A daring designer is always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love damask, however, I think it's a bit much going on and it doesn't seem to match at all. The apples are cute but they are kind of busy. I would go with the birds.

    www.littlemisscards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the apples are my favorite. The fabric on the right is too formal for the look you want. The birds are cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the apples! The birds are cute too, but I think the apples are more appropriate! And coordinating placemats and towels are a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would go with the apples, but it's your choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the apples! Kitchens definitely should be colorful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Apples! They are not too busy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hm, the apples drew my eye at first so I think that should be your top choice -- and you have it all thought out already! I absolutely love that damask and can't look away. If it were my kitchen, there's no way I could pass it up. I adore bird fabrics but this one seems too meh with the color.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!