Thursday, June 9, 2011

Life is just a bowl of cherries

life is just a bowl of cherries

Life is just a bowl of cherries... Ever wonder where that saying means? Where it came from?

I pondered it as I munched on cherries tonight until finally I dragged my butt to the computer to look it up. Turns out the saying comes from the lyrics of a Depression-era song. Basically, it means "Relax, don't take life so seriously!"

Works for me!

Just for fun, here's the music... and the lyrics too! Be careful though, it's kind of catchy. You might be humming it all day tomorrow. I know I probably will! :)

Enjoy! And take it easy!



"Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries," lyrics by Lew Brown, music by Ray Henderson (1931)

People are queer, they're always crowing, scrambling and rushing about;
Why don't they stop someday, address themselves this way?
Why are we here? Where are we going? It's time that we found out.
We're not here to stay; we're on a short holiday.

Life is just a bowl of cherries.
Don't take it serious; it's too mysterious.
You work, you save, you worry so,
But you can't take your dough when you go, go, go.

So keep repeating it's the berries,
The strongest oak must fall,
The sweet things in life, to you were just loaned
So how can you lose what you've never owned?
Life is just a bowl of cherries,
So live and laugh at it all.

Life is just a bowl of cherries.
Don't take it serious; it's too mysterious.
At eight each morning I have got a date,
To take my plunge 'round the Empire State.
You'll admit it's not the berries,
In a building that's so tall;
     There's a guy in the show, the girls love to kiss;
     Get thousands a week just for crooning like this:
Life is just a bowl of . . . aw, nuts!
So live and laugh at it all!

3 comments:

  1. I've heard the saying many times, but didn't know there was song!

    Now I want a bowl of cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this, I'd never heard the song before. It resonates with our tough economic times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting post. I like this and I like the idea of not taking life too seriously. We need to learn how to relax and have some fun! Well, I can only speak for myself.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!