Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Button, Button

I shared my love of buttons awhile ago, and I promised that I would share some of my button collection here on my blog. Most of my collection is currently categorized as "organized chaos," but I finally got around to framing a set that I completed this summer. Couldn't wait to share it!

complete set of glass vegetable buttons

This is my set of glass vegetable buttons. Though the set is complete with eight buttons, it was also sometimes sold as a set of six, so the tomato and green pepper are harder to find. I think my set came from a total of 4 different sources, and took me about a year to collect. There are so many different types of buttons out there that it can be hard to decide which type to collect. I love glass buttons, so I try to focus most of my collecting around this type. I especially like the realistics (shaped like objects or animals... also known as goofies!) Glass buttons aren't as old as many other types (most are from 1930s - 1950s) but I just love the look. They're colorful and fun... and if you don't collect what you love, then why collect?

I mounted these buttons on matboard covered with linen. I'm yet not sure where I'm going to hang them, but I have several other similar frames, so after I fill those, I'll be able to display them as a grouping.

Hope you enjoy! I'll share more soon!

3 comments:

  1. Those buttons make an awesome framed piece of art! All of them grouped together are going to look spectacular! What a cool collection you have :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen vegetable buttons before, what a good idea. I used to love playing with my mum's button box when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, you are a button geek too! So cute I love them! I prefer to collect old wooden buttons, however, this is only a recent thing and I can sometimes be a fickle collector. Thanks again for the lovely cards. I gave one to my sister-in-law for her birthday, and she loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!