Monday, May 2, 2011

Meet my new little man

About a month or so ago, I found the cutest little guy at an antique store. I fell in love with him immediately, but I talked myself out of buying him.

Ever since then, I have wished and wished that I had just brought him home with me... so when we were in the area this weekend, I talked my husband into stopping back at the antique store... just to check. I had a very bad feeling about it... thought for sure that someone else had probably bought him by now. But when I ran to the booth, there he was, sitting all alone on a high shelf, just waiting for me!

Come on, how could you resist this face?

 

He is super-cute, but the real reason I just had to keep him was the little story written on his tag:

This little Marine was made in 1951
for a bride-to-be to snuggle with
while her fella was off to Korea.
They wed in 1952.

Too sweet. It just made me want to cry to think that there was no one in the family who wanted this precious heirloom. I felt the responsibility to bring him home and give him some love.


Now he just needs a name... I'm thinking Harvey... or Clarence... or maybe Vernon...

Any suggestions?

Update: Clarence it is, folks! :)

9 comments:

  1. What a story...there is a lot to imagine. It IS sad that there was no one to pass it on to for one reason or another : (
    I'm glad you gave the little guy a home.
    Clarance sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you bought him and gave him a happy home. He's a little tubby for a Marine though. Clarence fits him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have been able to resist that face either, what a cutie! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! What a cute little guy. And I think Clarence is a grand name for him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness...... I am so glad that you picked up this little guy and brought him home!! I'm like you....can't believe that no one in the family wanted him!! If I had seen him I would have also brought him home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love him! I think I like Clarence!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm currently making my own version of this cute guy based off of your picture. It's my first embroidery project...I just had to try to make something to look like this cutie---so far, so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that idea! I hope your project turns out great... I'd love to see a picture when you're done. Good luck!! :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!