Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A cover for my little sewing machine

This weekend I sewed up a quick cover for my sewing machine. The fabric I used was from a torn and stained apron I found in my grandmother's fabric stash. I was able to cut around the worn-out areas and had just enough fabric for my project. I thought the pattern was pretty and I'm so happy that it's getting a new life and will be enjoyed again.

I can't share the pattern because it's from the sewing class I took (Home Ec with Freckled Nest - which I wholeheartedly recommend if you like learning on your own time, at your own pace. It was great!). However, it's a very simple idea. Basically, two pieces of fabric cut to fit over your machine, trimmed with bias tape and whatever decorations you desire - I desired buttons - and completed with a tie on either side. Super simple! And it's great because it can easily be adjusted to fit any size machine.

handmade sewing machine cover

Speaking of sewing machines, I've never shared mine here before. It's a little (3/4 size!) Kenmore Mini Ultra in baby blue. I think it's adorable and I smile every time I see it. It was easy to learn to use and hasn't given me any troubles at all. Of course, it is a pretty basic machine and someday I'll probably want to upgrade to something with a little more functionality, but for now, this does everything I need it to do.

cute blue sewing machine

And I think it looks so happy in its new fabric cover!

handmade sewing machine cover

10 comments:

  1. that is the cutest machine I've ever seen!!!
    And love the cover! I need to make one for my sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sewing machine is adorable, I never even thought about a sewing machine being cute before but that one definitely is. Lovely cover, and a great use for a vintage fabric

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like! Methinks your little sewing machine needs a name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, you've been given a Versatile Blogger Award. Please visit: bhvintage.blogspot.com to accept and learn how to pass it on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really is a cute sewing machine, and I love the cover -- very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet cover for a sweet sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Amanda, and that is a cute machine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say so myself, that little baby blue sewing machine is adoreable!! And Grandma is smiling down on you right now knowing you put her fabric(from an apron)to very good use! Love you, Mandy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love it!!! great job! i so need to make one. mine is starting to collect dust on it..

    thanks for the sweet welcoming comment you left the other day! im glad to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this machine too! I love it and I cannot bare to upgrade yet. I love the fact that it is blue!!

    Happy Sewning!

    -Julia
    Blue-J Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment... I'd love to hear from you!